Trouble getting MIDI to work in Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
RichardR
Level 1
Level 1

Trouble getting MIDI to work in Wine

Post by RichardR »

Hello,
I just upgraded someone's old Linux Mint 17.3 KDE installation to the latest MX-Linux KDE.
The old installation had a Windows music editor by the name of Encore 5 running in Wine, with MIDI working fine, as shown in this screenshot:
midi-setup-encore.png
On the new installation, I got everything working smoothly, including Wine - except the link between MIDI and this Encore application:
midi-setup-encore-error.png
midi-setup-encore-error.png (8.33 KiB) Viewed 508 times
I get error messages for each of the 4 settings (Port A, Port B, Record Port and Receive Sync Port).

What I did:
  • Install timidity with the exact same soundfont as on the original installation
  • Set an Autostart script that carried out

Code: Select all

timidity -iA
    (identical to the one on the previous installation)
  • Tested timidity:

Code: Select all

$ aconnect -l
    client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
        0 'Timer           '
        1 'Announce        '
    client 14: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
        0 'Midi Through Port-0'
    client 128: 'TiMidity' [type=user,pid=3126]
        0 'TiMidity port 0 '
        1 'TiMidity port 1 '
        2 'TiMidity port 2 '
        3 'TiMidity port 3 '

Two more things that may be important:
  • I copied the user's old /home directory verbatim, including all settings and other stuff from both Wine and Encore, so the problem is most likely located somewhere in the /etc or /usr directory
  • I can still fire up the old installation for comparison and cheking, but I can't find anything different
So I'm basically stuck at this point, and searching the Internet has not turned up a solution. I found some stuff about Registry keys, but I am very certain that I never created any Registry keys in the previous installation. I also checked lsmod, but the usual sound stuff including snd_seq_device and snd_rawmidi are installed.
It appears that Wine somehow can't see timidity running. I did find some references to winecfg, but when I run that, it doesn't show anything about MIDI.

Does anyone know what I'm missing here?

Thanks for any hints already,

Regards,
RichardR
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Trouble getting MIDI to work in Wine

Post by RichardR »

Found the solution: https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=1502949

Installing libasound2-plugins:i386 did the trick