Acrobat Reader: Print to PDF of an XFA format == blank page

Questions about Wine on Linux
lawlist
Level 2
Level 2

Acrobat Reader: Print to PDF of an XFA format == blank page

Post by lawlist »

I have successfully installed Acrobat Reader (`AdbeRdr11008_en_US.exe`) and Acrobat Reader DC (`AcroRdrDC1800920044_en_US.exe`).

I am using the Print to PDF driver `printer-driver-cups-pdf'

The test PDF form is in an XFA format and is provided by the California court system:

https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/fl142.pdf

Using either of the above-mentioned PDF readers renders the same result. When selecting the PDF printer (created with the driver mentioned above) and all default options, [with the only exception being print the "Actual Size" *is* selected], the result is only one (1) blank page and nothing else. In the "Print" dialog screen, if I go into "Advanced Print Setup" and select "Print as Image", then all four (4) pages print correctly. However, the result using "Print as Image" is a much larger file than it would otherwise have to be and the PDF will not be text searchable.

By way of comparison, `Okular` can print this document to PDF using the same printer in this example, but the user buttons at the bottom of the last page get printed too. Those buttons are only for the person filling out the form to see, and should not be printed to PDF. Adobe Acrobat knows not to print those buttons.

Any solutions to print a form like this to PDF would be appreciated.
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Acrobat Reader: Print to PDF of an XFA format == blank page

Post by jkfloris »

I am not sure why the cups-pdf printer doesn't work, but I think it has something to do with the security/ encryption that is on the PDF file.

Adobe (AcroRdrDC2200220191_en_US) can also "print" the file as a Postscript file.
In the "Advanced Print Setup" select "Print to File"
You can open and print this file with Okular. Unfortunately, the text isn't searchable.