Retrieve differences between .wine environments

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
jenergy

Retrieve differences between .wine environments

Post by jenergy »

Hello,
After spending a couple of hours in order to make a Windows Game Cd-rom working, I succeeded my goal.
I have the original disc of the XPLOSIV 2003 Windows collection of "Bubble Bobble + Rainbow Islands" https://www.retrogames.co.uk/031173/Oth ... by-Xplosiv
I know that using mame version of these two games is easier, but my personal challenge was to make this cd to work under wine :D

This is a SafeDisc v3 protected CD-ROM, and in order to play I need to insert physical disc, and that's ok, at least for now.

Because of the SafeDisc problem, in order to make all things work, I tried SEVERAL tricks read in this forum and all over the net (copying secdrv.sys, removing secdrv.sys, starting windows service, stopping service, winetricks, wine config, dll, no-cd cracks, reboot system, installing windows utilities which maybe are simple viruses etc..).

Now I have a VERY DIRTY wine environment, but the game searches for the physical cd and it works :D

I dont' like to have a dirty environment, so I renamed .wine folder into .wine_old, and tried to recreate by scratch a clean .wine environment, by reproducing gradually all the needed steps..but I cannot reach the goal, the game doesn't work, even if the physical cd is inserted, the error is always the good old:

Code: Select all

014c:err:ntoskrnl:ZwLoadDriver failed to create driver L"\\Registry\\Machine\\System\\CurrentControlSet\\Services\\SecDrv": c0000142
So I have a DIRTY environment working (.wine_old)
And a CLEAN environment not working (.wine)

I'm using wine-7.0

The question is:
Is there a way to understand the differences (registry, wine config, dll,files etc..) between my two environments, in order to reproduce gradually a clean .wine windows env working?

Thank you
jkfloris
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Retrieve differences between .wine environments

Post by jkfloris »

You can manually compare the registry files of the two wine prefixes.
For example:

diff ~/.wine/system.reg ~/.wine_old/system.reg
You can also check what options/ DLL-files you have installed with winetricks.

cat ~/.wine_old/winetricks.log
If I may make a wild guess, the working prefix is 32-bit and the non-working is 64-bit.
rooftop

Post by rooftop »

General info, winetricks makes new clean prefixes with explicitly selected 32bit or 64bit under /home/name/.local/share/wineprefixes/yourPrefix
to explicitly use those prefixes:
`WINEPREFIX=/home/name/.local/share/wineprefixes/wine32a/ wine ~/pathto/someinstaller.exe/`
`winetricks prefix=wine32a -q dlls vcrun6`
(after removing .wine ) creating the default ~/.wine a 32bit instead of 64bit is
`WINEARCH=win32 wineboot`

That way you can have a subfolder of prefixes each customized per program and don't need a bunch directly in your home folder.
(I'm really not sure why wine doesn't default to a .wine/wine32pf (or wine64pf) convention. I know it would have some backward compatibility effects but it would really clean things up and be more obvious to new users. Winetricks could then just add to it or add an obvious subdirectory.)
Last edited by rooftop on Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rooftop

Post by rooftop »

jkfloris wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:20 am You can manually compare the registry files of the two wine prefixes.
For example:

diff ~/.wine/system.reg ~/.wine_old/system.reg
You can also check what options/ DLL-files you have installed with winetricks.

cat ~/.wine_old/winetricks.log
If I may make a wild guess, the working prefix is 32-bit and the non-working is 64-bit.
Thanks! I came here looking for a way to export or otherwise dump prefix settings, and that fits the bill.