SoundBridge doesn't work until running uninstalling wine.

Open forum for end-user questions about Wine. Before asking questions, check out the Wiki as a first step.
Forum Rules
aguywhocodes

SoundBridge doesn't work until running uninstalling wine.

Post by aguywhocodes »

Hello! I have tried running SoundBridge on wine, and the installer works perfectly, but once I try to run it, it starts spamming these three messages:

Code: Select all

fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0000000007380000 0 000000000011F660 4 stub
fixme:vcruntime:__telemetry_main_invoke_trigger
fixme:ntdll:NtSetInformationToken TokenIntegrityLevel stub!
I tried installing the new Visual Studio redistributables, but it did nothing, and so I tried reinstalling wine, so I ran: "sudo apt remove winehq-stable" and "sudo apt autoremove". although, when "sudo apt autoremove" is ran, SoundBridge stops spamming, and then proceeds to run perfectly. Does anyone else have this problem? Or should I file a bug report? Thanks.

Note: I tried this on winehq-stable, winehq-staging, and winehq-devel, they all produced the same behavior.
aguywhocodes

Re: SoundBridge doesn't work until running uninstalling wine.

Post by aguywhocodes »

I just realized I put a typo in the title, it's supposed to say: "SoundBridge doesn't work until uninstalling wine."
jhansonxi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jhansonxi »

Removing Wine through the package manager to fix an app running in Wine is like nuking the earth to fix a roof leak. It works but more precision is better.

What is probably happening is the app is installed in a wine directory, whatever the environment variable WINEPREFIX is pointing to (/home/your home dir/.wine by default). The installer or the app itself isn't exiting properly so its process is stuck and blocking access to something. Uninstalling Wine may be inadvertently solving the problem. Run the installer or app from a terminal and use a task or process monitor to see if it disappears when exited. If it doesn't then terminate (or kill) it an see if there are any useful terminal messages. Also check if the installer or app has its own logs that may indicate something is wrong. Then look for bug, AppDB, or forum reports about it.
aguywhocodes

Post by aguywhocodes »

Thanks for trying to help. I spent about 30 minutes trying to track down the process that causes SoundBridge not to open, and I was not able to figure out what process doesn't allow it to open, although, I found the package that causes it to not be able to open is the wine-stable package. Uninstalling the package doesn't seem to kill any processes, so do you have any idea whats happening?