Wine crashes setting up windows environment

Questions about Wine on Android
Rincewind

Wine crashes setting up windows environment

Post by Rincewind »

Serious Wine Newbie
Android 8 (LG V20)
Wine 6.1 downloaded today
Install seems to go OK but suddenly finishes.

When I start up Wine from the icon the screen moves to landscape; a message "setting up the Windows environment" appears briefly and the Wine shuts down
How can I move this further forward?
Thanks for any suggestions
Rincewindwiz

Re: Wine crashes setting up windows environment

Post by Rincewindwiz »

Update 20/2
1. LG V20 (32GB SD) runs Android 7.0 not 8. Sorry.

2. Wine 6.2 ARM install locks up on 'Setting up the Windows Environment - had the spinning wheel for 20 minutes now,

3. Killing Wine install produces a Wine icon. Clicking the wine icon produces the same 'Setting up Windows environment spinning wheel.

How can I get Wine to Install?
Does it work better with Android 9?

Thanks for any information
CivBase

Re: Wine crashes setting up windows environment

Post by CivBase »

I'm experiencing a similar issue. The Wine app gets stuck on the "Setting up the Windows environment..." dialog.

Version: Wine 6.7 (ARM)
Device: LG V30

I've also tried Wine 5.22, 6.0-rc2, and 6.2. 5.22 and 6.2 behave the same way. I specifically chose 6.0-rc2 because it included a fix for bug 49892 (commit 758e75cc46afe7d0349615998f533abca5eeca26). It is the only version which makes it past that dialog, but it crashes immediately after that.

I suspect it is failing at WineActivity.java:141, where it tries to load the static library ntdll.so. I'd guess the thread running loadWine() crashes there and the dialog box (running in a separate thread) never gets dismissed. It doesn't look like the file ntdll.so exists on my phone. It's supposed to live in <abi>/lib/wine, but the entire <abi> directory is missing. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong directory (/data/app/org.winehz.wine-{id}/).

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the Wine project's code to debug it any further. I didn't see the file files.sum, so maybe that has something to do with it. The "Extracting files..." dialog does show that almost 2000 files are extracted, though, so again maybe I'm just looking in the wrong directory.