System-wide wine installation

Questions about Wine on Linux
nintyfan
Level 2
Level 2

System-wide wine installation

Post by nintyfan »

There's would be larger weekend for me, so I decided to accomplish one of my project. I selected wine-systemwide, because it look very simple in design.

Wine-systemwide is boundle of bash/python script to ran wine as normal user, but with access to /home/wine-systemwide directory via /home/wine-public directory. Reason is to give users possibility to install programs for all users, but only one could use this prefix at the same time.

Solution is simple and quite mature now. I can create new WinePrefix, ran some wine-delivered programs (such as notepad or regedit) or some GOG installers (and I can install some games). Solution use FUSE, which run as wine-systemwide user and mounts /home/wine-systemwide to /home/wine-public, giving access to it only for user who invoked program. Documents, Desktop directories still points to Unix user directories (I checked this), but CWD for open/save dialogs points to last directory for this program/wineprefix. Solution are on sourceforge. Because some games stores profile inside documents or similar, there's chance to share the same installation of a game/program between many users.

I waiting for any suggestion/help. Project are on sourceforge.net.