Catalina and the future of Wine on Mac

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Catalina and the future of Wine on Mac

Post by Gcenx »

starparrot wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:36 pm This sounds like a few months months work - just to get a Wine 64 bit .pkg to run 64 bit Windows apps?

Thanks for your help.
If your only wanting to run win64 applications you can do so already on macOS Catalina, the issue is win32 applications.

Personally been running from a self compiled version of CrossOver-19 since the source hit already moved over to CrossOver-19.0.1 aka WineCX19.0.1 for a while now, while I could be provided the issue is needing to have SIP disabled for wine32on64 to function without it being code signed & notarized.

I'd considered making a brew tap/cask to download and install a custom "Wine Crossover" bundle I've built that functions on OS X 10.8 > macOS Catalina but the requirement of having SIP disabled would end up causing me more of a headache.
starparrot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by starparrot »

Gcenx wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:53 pm If your only wanting to run win64 applications you can do so already on macOS Catalina, the issue is win32 applications.
It just seems to be a bit of work and I'm not a Wine expert. I was hoping for a simply 64 bit .pkg.
Gcenx wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:53 pm Personally been running from a self compiled version of CrossOver-19 since the source hit already moved over to CrossOver-19.0.1 aka WineCX19.0.1 for a while now, while I could be provided the issue is needing to have SIP disabled for wine32on64 to function without it being code signed & notarized.
I imagine this would involve me purchasing Crossover, which I don't have a licence for.

Thanks.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

starparrot wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:00 pm It just seems to be a bit of work and I'm not a Wine expert. I was hoping for a simply 64 bit .pkg.
Not really if you install homebrew

Code: Select all

brew cask install xquartz
brew cask install (wine-stable/wine-devel/wine-staging)
Now you have wine64 within a stock terminal session, so you can use things like
wine64 explorer
wine64 winecfg
wine64 wineboot
etc
starparrot wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:00 pm I imagine this would involve me purchasing Crossover, which I don't have a licence for.
You only purchase a CrossOver license if your going to be using their product.
Using wine compiled from their source is a different matter, unless you don't want to have SIP disabled then by all means make a purchase the product is good.
azoreseuropa

Post by azoreseuropa »

Does that mean Wine will never run on Catalina at all. never ? Thy are not working on Wine that will run on Catalina ?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

azoreseuropa wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:03 am Does that mean Wine will never run on Catalina at all. never ? Thy are not working on Wine that will run on Catalina ?
I guess you haven’t read anything within this thread as it’s been explained multiple times now.

Current Winehq releases won’t function on macOS Catalina, CrossOver-19 and above do function on macOS Catalina.

So yes they are working in getting something functional on macOS Catalina it’s called wine32on64.

Your current options are as follows;
- Purchase CrossOver-19.0.1
- Downgrade to macOS Mojave (use all Winehq releases)
- Compile crossover-wine source (disable SIP to run it)
azoreseuropa

Post by azoreseuropa »

No, I didn't. And I thank you for your time to write it to me. Good day.
markwozere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markwozere »

Gcenx wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:28 am
azoreseuropa wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:03 am Does that mean Wine will never run on Catalina at all. never ? Thy are not working on Wine that will run on Catalina ?
I guess you haven’t read anything within this thread as it’s been explained multiple times now.

Current Winehq releases won’t function on macOS Catalina, CrossOver-19 and above do function on macOS Catalina.

So yes they are working in getting something functional on macOS Catalina it’s called wine32on64.

Your current options are as follows;
- Purchase CrossOver-19.0.1
- Downgrade to macOS Mojave (use all Winehq releases)
- Compile crossover-wine source (disable SIP to run it)
I don't suppose we have any timeframe predicted for wine32on64 yet?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

markwozere wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:38 pm I don't suppose we have any timeframe predicted for wine32on64 yet?
We won’t see wine32on64 until after CrossOver-20 but this doesn’t mean it will become part of upstream wine.

As wine32on64 still requires a custom compiler Julliard doesn’t want to include wine32on64 patches into upstream, I can see this changing after the custom compiler is no longer required.

This was all mentioned on the wine-devel mailing list when DarkShadow (a wine/winetricks contributor) asked for more information, this happened a little after I’d already reached out for more clarification on some build issues I was having when using my build system over a minimum setup.

Right now wine32on64 needs a lot of features set to disabled in order for it to compile.
markwozere
Level 2
Level 2

Post by markwozere »

I'll downgrade back to Mojave in that case for the time being
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

markwozere wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:44 pm I'll downgrade back to Mojave in that case for the time being
That’s currently the best option if the Mac supports it.

You might wanna check my GitHub repository macports-wine using that you can build wine-stable(wine)/wine-devel/wine-staging & wine-crossover just apply the provided patch using sudo to force macport to allow +universal on Mojave and add the 10.13 SDK into the location I mention.

Now you can install the most recent version of wine with things like MoltenVK, gnutls, gstreamer and evening FAudio with wma audio if you build using +ffmpeg flag.

It also include two custom ports for shared wine-mono and wine-gecko that also works with Winehq Wine-5.x releases.
Last edited by Gcenx on Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Delete me
Synyster Shadows

Post by Synyster Shadows »

Hi, this post says that Catalina don't support 32 bits games?
I sold GTA San Andreas to one person who have a Mac with Catalina, you say that doesn't work?
We need soon the support.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Synyster Shadows wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:41 am Hi, this post says that Catalina don't support 32 bits games?
I sold GTA San Andreas to one person who have a Mac with Catalina, you say that doesn't work?
We need soon the support.
Purchase CrossOver-19 and above

Currently there are no official macOS packages let alone wine32on64 support
tijsbyloos

Post by tijsbyloos »

can someone help me here, now we can't use wine, is there any other way to install windows programmes on my apple computer with the newest updates
thank you
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

tijsbyloos wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:06 pm can someone help me here, now we can't use wine, is there any other way to install windows programmes on my apple computer with the newest updates
thank you
Read my replay directly above yours, purchase crossover that works.

Alternately use Bootcamp and install Windows 10.

Are there other options?, yes there are most will post towards projects I’m involved with but I don't see the need to post these on Winehq
Maximara
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maximara »

Gcenx wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:02 pm
tijsbyloos wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:06 pm can someone help me here, now we can't use wine, is there any other way to install windows programmes on my apple computer with the newest updates
thank you

Are there other options?, yes there are most will post towards projects I’m involved with but I don't see the need to post these on Winehq
The Bootcamp option will start dying with the ARM macs come out.
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Maximara wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:26 am
Gcenx wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:02 pm
thank you

The Bootcamp option will start dying with the ARM macs come out.
I watched the announcement using the developer app on my phone so i'm well aware of the loss of bootcamp for ARM systems, this doesn't affect any current Intel based system macOS Big Sur still has bootcamp option in the developer Beta.

I've already tested macOS Big Sur developer beta on my Intel macbook pro, wine32on64 is still working so for current mac owners the move won't affect them for sometime.

Now I hope CodeWeavers are getting themselves a Development Kit (I know I won't be), as unfortunately some of there less tech savvy employees are making incorrect assumptions.

Due to the ARM switch don't expect CrossOver-20 to support ARM based mac systems unless were really luck and the work done on wine32on64 can be repurposed to speed up the development of project Hangover.
Maximara
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Maximara »

I know the forums don't support WineBottler/WineSkin but I noticed there are several video on use those to run supposedly run 32-bit Windows app on Catalina. So I was wondering are these real and if so why can't we do what they are doing in the regular Wine program?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

Maximara wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:13 pm I know the forums don't support WineBottler/WineSkin but I noticed there are several video on use those to run supposedly run 32-bit Windows app on Catalina. So I was wondering are these real and if so why can't we do what they are doing in the regular Wine program?
These videos are real and are using my fork of Wineskin along with WineCX19.0.1-1 (built off crossover-sources-19.0.1 plus additional patches) I didn't provide CrossOver-19.0.2 based build as that broke Steam.

Why can't this be done with official wine packages?, the reason is CrossOver-19 required thousands of patches to the wine-4.12.1 base and requires using a custom version of llvm/clang-8 to compile wine32on64.

For the moment Julliard won't accept the patches into upstream, it's possible they could be if the custom llvm/clang-8 wasn't required.
The_SamminAter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by The_SamminAter »

I’ve noticed that the available pkgs for Wine (for macOS) are relatively outdated. For example, the latest Wine devel available for macOS in an easy installer is v5.7 (I think), compared to the latest Wine devel release being v5.18.

Will these (newer) versions ever be available in pkg form for macOS versions older than Catalina?

I ask this question here because I’m guessing that newer pkgs haven’t been made because of them being unable to run on macOS Catalina. Please correct me if I’m wrong about that assumption.

Edit: also, if I remember correctly, (macOS) Wine devel v5.7 didn’t work at all, has/will that be fixed?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

New macOS packages haven't been made since 5.7 because the former package maintainers decided to stop being package maintainers, and they owned the build machine. There is a volunteer to take over who is working on setting up a new build system, but I haven't seen any ETA for when it will be ready. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49167
The_SamminAter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by The_SamminAter »

dimesio wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:38 pm New macOS packages haven't been made since 5.7 because the former package maintainers decided to stop being package maintainers, and they owned the build machine. There is a volunteer to take over who is working on setting up a new build system, but I haven't seen any ETA for when it will be ready. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49167
Ok, thanks for the information.
The_SamminAter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by The_SamminAter »

@dimesio on the bug page you linked, it was said that wine-devel-5.14 and wine-staging-5.14 were uploaded, is there a reason they aren’t available for download?
Gcenx
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Gcenx »

dimesio wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:38 pm New macOS packages haven't been made since 5.7 because the former package maintainers decided to stop being package maintainers, and they owned the build machine. There is a volunteer to take over who is working on setting up a new build system, but I haven't seen any ETA for when it will be ready. https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49167
Alistair was setting up the environment on a remote system but haven't heard from them recently, I'd assume their busy.

I do offer alternatives;

- macports-wine I always update this first
- macOS_Wine_builds WineHQ like wine packages
- homebrew-wine brew tap to simplify installing my wine packages
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The_SamminAter wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:50 pm @dimesio on the bug page you linked, it was said that wine-devel-5.14 and wine-staging-5.14 were uploaded, is there a reason they aren’t available for download?
Those aren't WineHQ packages; those are provided by user Gcenx.