Wine app display must be manually refreshed

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Camelith

Wine app display must be manually refreshed

Post by Camelith »

Hey first time posting here so go easy on me if I forget some vitally important detail but here's the gist of my issue:

I'm currently attempting to run a game by the name of Eiyuu Senki, a Japanese game if the name didn't already give that away. I've got all the necessary fonts, winetrick fakejapanese and everything else necessary to make the game nice and happy. It does, in fact, display all text and everything correctly, doesn't have any sound issues, doesn't seem to suffer from any slowdown (based off audio cues) during more 'intense' effects heavy battle sequences or fancy transitions.

It does, however, not refresh the screen at all. A black screen after startup is fixed by toggling fullscreen on and off, but after that the display for the game is only updated by having another window or other graphical entity (like the dock) move over it.

As far as I can tell, after a few hours of research while at work, this is an issue that crops up from time to time as far back as 2008, irrespective of what kind of program is being run or the hardware it's being run on (maybe there's some connection I just missed across the various examples). The most recent example I can find is this. Which isn't exactly the same issue, since for me the cursor doesn't cause the screen to refresh at all.

I've fiddled around a bit with suggestions given in the above thread, and others, but I'm very green and unsurprisingly wasn't able to come up with a solution through dumb luck. Originally I was trying this on the current stable build, and just recently switched over to the very fresh wine-devel, where the problem persists.

On launch, and throughout play, the log returns this:

Code: Select all

0009:fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32edf0,0x00000000), stub!
002f:fixme:winmm:MXD_GetControlDetails What should the sw-side mixer controls map to?
002f:fixme:winmm:MXD_GetControlDetails What should the sw-side mixer controls map to?
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000040 at address 0x7fff4f5b00c1 (thread 001c), starting debugger...
001c:err:seh:start_debugger Couldn't start debugger ("winedbg --auto 24 112") (1115)
Read the Wine Developers Guide on how to set up winedbg or another debugger
001c:err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 3424 bytes in thread 001c eip 00007fff7939b1d2 esp 00000000007908b0 stack 0x790000-0x791000-0x990000
I'm going to assume I did something wrong with winedbg attempting to adapt instructions from other threads, so if something useful can come from it I'd appreciate some pointers on it as well.

I've tried opening another windows game, Open General, with the same setup and it works just fine. No display refresh issue at all.

Thanks, and sorry about the wall of text.
Camelith

Re: Wine app display must be manually refreshed

Post by Camelith »

Addendum: Forgot to mention I've tried both with and without virtual desktop enabled. The game allows for any number of custom defined resolutions, but defaults to 1280x720 and I made sure the virtual desktop resolution matched.
DarkShadow44
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Wine app display must be manually refreshed

Post by DarkShadow44 »

Could be a driver or a wine issue. The log you posted is a crash btw, that's not normal.

is there a free demo or so, for testing?