FAudio for Debian 10 and Ubuntu 18.04

Questions about Wine on Linux
dimesio

FAudio for Debian 10 and Ubuntu 18.04

Post by dimesio »

2021-11-10 update: Beginning with Wine 6.21, FAudio is no longer a dependency of Wine, and users of the current winehq-devel and winehq-staging packages do not need to install it. Users on Debian 10 and Ubuntu 18.04 who wish to install a winehq-stable 6.0.x package will still need to install FAudio following the instructions below.

Original message:
Thanks to Cybermax, we have FAudio packages on the OBS for Debian 10 and Ubuntu 18.04. The WineHQ wine-devel and wine-staging packages for those distros are built against them and will require them as a dependency. Beginning with Wine 5.0, the wine-stable packages will also require FAudio.

Note: FAudio for Ubuntu 19.10 and later, and Debian bullseye and later, are provided by those distros. If you are unable to install them from your distro repository, ask for help on your distro's forum.

Because FAudio is not part of the Wine Project, the FAudio packages are not distributed from the download server here, but can be obtained directly from the OBS.

Debian 10: https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... Debian_10/

Ubuntu 18.04 and Linux Mint 19.x: https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... ntu_18.04/

The quickest and easiest way to satisfy the new dependency is to download and install both the i386 and amd64 libfaudio0 packages before attempting to upgrade or install a WineHQ package. By installing the downloaded packages locally, you will not have to add the OBS repository. This only has to be done once.

For users who prefer to add the OBS repository, see the detailed instructions in a post below.
julek

Re: FAudio for Debian and Ubuntu

Post by julek »

Hi,

Debian buster packages for i386 and amd64 conflict with each other on file /usr/share/doc/libfaudio0/changelog.Debian.gz - could you please fix it ?

Thanks
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

julek wrote:Hi,

Debian buster packages for i386 and amd64 conflict with each other on file /usr/share/doc/libfaudio0/changelog.Debian.gz - could you please fix it ?

Thanks
Yes, this is a build problem i guess.

I will come up with a working solution. In the meantime you can just do:

Code: Select all

sudo rm /usr/share/doc/libfaudio0/changelog.Debian.gz
and install the libfaudio0:i386 package.

The "changelog" is the same, but it has a different md5sum cos its generated in a i386 vm with a different time indication during build, and thus Ubuntu/Debian sees this as a "different file".
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

I have made a reply to the bug posted on bugzilla.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46936#c8
If you added the OBS repo, you should be able to fix it by doing a combo of:
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt --fix-broken install
sudo apt autoremove --purge
sudo apt upgrade

If you installed the .deb's manually, you would most likely need to
sudo apt remove winehq-devel before purging the old libfaudio0.
Hopefully this mess can be sorted without too much troubles.

I am truly sorry for this guys.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

For those who want to add the OBS repository rather than just downloading and installing locally:

Debian 10:
Download the Release.key. Navigate to the directory you downloaded it to and install it with

sudo apt-key add Release.key
Add the repository to /etc/apt/sources.list or create a *.list under /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ with the following content:

deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine:/Debian/Debian_10 ./
Then update:

sudo apt update

Ubuntu 18.04:
Download the Release.key. Navigate to the directory you downloaded it to and install it with

sudo apt-key add Release.key
Add the repository:

sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine:/Debian/xUbuntu_18.04/ ./'
Then update:

sudo apt update
latte
Level 2
Level 2

Post by latte »

After
NO_PUBKEY DFA175A75104960E
I had to

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys DFA175A75104960E

Afterwards you could install winehq-devel again.
aaronfranke
Level 1
Level 1

Post by aaronfranke »

Can somebody please explain to me why Wine has to change how it's packaged every year? I really wish Wine could just maintain one single repository with all of the required packages in it and we could stop having to update our sources list or update keys all the time.

Back in 2012:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-wine/ppa
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wine

Pre-2017 April:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:wine/wine-builds
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install winehq-devel

2017 April:

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key
sudo apt-key add winehq.key
sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main'
rm -f winehq.key
sudo apt install -y winehq-devel

Yet now, users can't just copy-paste this, because "bionic" is different for each Ubuntu release.

2018 December:

Same as before but you have to re-add the key file.

2019 April:

Same as before but now we need the FAudio package:

"The quickest and easiest way to satisfy the new dependency is to download and install both the i386 and amd64 libfaudio0 packages before attempting to upgrade or install winehq-devel."

So we have to manually download and install two deb files, which probably will become outdated in the future, in addition to all of the above commands, just to use the latest version of Wine?

Why are you making it regressively more difficult to install Wine? Ideally I should be able to run one script / one set of commands and then I should not have to worry about setting up Wine again. Package managers are supposed to make keeping software updated easier, not harder. Installing Wine should be as easy as possible to discourage users from switching back to Windows.

But the biggest problem of all, with changing how Wine is installed, is that the answers on help forums and places like Ask Ubuntu all become outdated very quickly. Most users will just search for their problem online and get frustrated when the first few answers don't work.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The change in repository key several months ago was due to the change in the package maintainer: the old key had the previous maintainer's name on it, and it would not have been appropriate to use it when he was no longer maintaining those packages.

The FAudio packages are not distributed from dl.winehq.org because FAudio is not part of the Wine Project, and our building them is only a temporary workaround until distros start providing FAudio packages. FYI, Fedora 29 and later and Debian Sid have already added FAudio packages to their repositories. If your distro hasn't, that's something to discuss with your distro.

The FAudio packages do not need to be updated unless Wine changes to require a newer version. That's not likely to happen often, if at all.

As for instructions on outside sites becoming outdated, that's inevitable, and not limited to questions about installing Wine. The instructions on our wiki are the only ones we support. https://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#I_followed_ ... n.27t_work
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

aaronfranke wrote: So we have to manually download and install two deb files, which probably will become outdated in the future, in addition to all of the above commands, just to use the latest version of Wine?

Why are you making it regressively more difficult to install Wine? Ideally I should be able to run one script / one set of commands and then I should not have to worry about setting up Wine again. Package managers are supposed to make keeping software updated easier, not harder. Installing Wine should be as easy as possible to discourage users from switching back to Windows.
I cant do anything but agree with you. Absolutely. But remember you are talking about "wine-devel" here, and that is a development project.

A project "in development" like wine-devel, and its dependencies (like faudio or vkd3d), is very much based on rapid releases. Expecting distro's to keep this up will NOT happen, and its mostly based around ppl that really want to be on the cutting edge of stuff to either compile themselves, or add ppa's... and ppl do. And thats fine IMO for a project in development like Wine-devel. No problem with that. So in a way, if you want to use "dev" version, you need ppa's/other packages. So, what happens when wine-stable one day will require the same? Well, then you might just need to have to wait on the distro provided package. As of now, bionic provides wine-3.0, and disco wine-4.0.

Ofc for convenience seen from a user-perspective, I would absolutely recommend dl.winehq.org to provide both libfaudio and libvkd3d tho.
dimesio wrote:The FAudio packages are not distributed from dl.winehq.org because FAudio is not part of the Wine Project, and our building them is only a temporary workaround until distros start providing FAudio packages. FYI, Fedora 29 and later and Debian Sid have already added FAudio packages to their repositories. If your distro hasn't, that's something to discuss with your distro.
"Older" distro's like Cosmic, Bionic or Debian "Stretch" might never see those packages at all sadly. Only in case that Disco/Buster gets the next wine-stable that requires this perhaps? I'm kinda pessimistic like that hehe..
dimesio wrote:The FAudio packages do not need to be updated unless Wine changes to require a newer version. That's not likely to happen often, if at all.
Not knowing how things really ties together here, i would venture say that libfaudio works kind of like libvkd3d does. Wine's XAudio2 "sends" sound to linux libfaudio, and its up to libfaudio to interpret this and create audio via whatever audio engine available. If a game require some new audiocodec, or a bugged audiocodec in libfaudio, things needs to be updated.
An example to this is that xWMA does not work without libfaudio compiled with ffmpeg support. (The "OBS" provided version is currently not). So if a game using XAudio2 uses xWMA for sounds, it probably will be a dull experience. This can ofc be solved, but might require a more updated ffmpeg than "older" distro's have available... and there we go again :)

When you add the multitudes of distro's and each distro's way of implementing packages, troubleshooting bugs like "I got no sound in MyGame 2.0" is near impossible if various distro's started implementing their own versions of the library. And WHAM, welcome to the harsh reality of Linux i guess.

Enough rambling from my side.
shmerl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by shmerl »

Thanks for adding these to OBS! It's very useful.
shmerl
Level 2
Level 2

Post by shmerl »

Can you please also add faudio 19.05?
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

shmerl wrote:Can you please also add faudio 19.05?
Just finished compiling :)
08-May-2019 15:04

C
mindinsomnia

Post by mindinsomnia »

Wine devs, I freaking love you all for what you do.

Please seriously.

Could you PLEASE just spend a tiny bit of time on making the process for installing Wine-development a bit easier? Because this is pretty crazy.
DRanged

Post by DRanged »

Cybermax wrote:
dimesio wrote:The FAudio packages are not distributed from dl.winehq.org because FAudio is not part of the Wine Project, and our building them is only a temporary workaround until distros start providing FAudio packages. FYI, Fedora 29 and later and Debian Sid have already added FAudio packages to their repositories. If your distro hasn't, that's something to discuss with your distro.
"Older" distro's like Cosmic, Bionic or Debian "Stretch" might never see those packages at all sadly. Only in case that Disco/Buster gets the next wine-stable that requires this perhaps? I'm kinda pessimistic like that hehe..
Debian package libfaudio0 has a serious bug that needs to be resolved https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=927451 and that one needs to be resolved before we prob even see it on Debian buster/testing or being even backported.

Cheers
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

DRanged wrote:
Cybermax wrote:
Debian package libfaudio0 has a serious bug that needs to be resolved https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=927451 and that one needs to be resolved before we prob even see it on Debian buster/testing or being even backported.

Cheers
Not sure what that error is about.

0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     14 juni   1 19:55 libFAudio.so -> libFAudio.so.0
  0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     20 juni   1 19:55 libFAudio.so.0 -> libFAudio.so.0.19.06
248 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 250680 juni   1 19:55 libFAudio.so.0.19.06

objdump -p libFAudio.so | grep SONAME
  SONAME               libFAudio.so.0
But that is perhaps not correct?

Then again, Debian Testing only provides 19.02, so its 4 months old, and it does not seem like there has been anyone trying to figure this out...

Im willing to do some tests if i can be explained the problem in a "for dummies" kind of way tho :)
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

mindinsomnia wrote:Wine devs, I freaking love you all for what you do.

Please seriously.

Could you PLEASE just spend a tiny bit of time on making the process for installing Wine-development a bit easier? Because this is pretty crazy.
IF you are willing to do some experimentation, i am building wine-devel and wine-staging for Ubuntu with both vkd3d and libFAudio enabled on my personal OBS.
Wine-devel: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... wine-devel
Wine-staging: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... ne-staging
Install explanations on the link.
Available for Ubuntu 18.04, 18.10 and 19.04. Debian 10 (Testing). Debian 9 do not have libFAudio, but do have vkd3d.

Bare in mind that this is not an official build, although i will try to help as much as i can... wine-staging with libFAudio is not default enabled, so as with most things wine: Any "custom tweaks" is probably not something you will get help with. I do not have the time to test "everything", so wine-staging with libFAudio might break down hard on some random game tho, but if interested feel free to test.

I try to keep vkd3d updated with GIT releases, and libFAudio with "releases".

PS. The packages is built with a +.1 versioning, eg. wine-staging-4.10.1 to be "newer" than the official WineHQ package, so it should be directly upgradeable. vkd3d + libfaudio is available from the same repo and will be upgraded by a "sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade" when new packages are built.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I have split the posts about issues adding the OBS repository to Linux Mint into a separate thread to make it easier for Mint users to find the relevant information. This thread is getting too long and hard to follow.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

libFAudio 19.07 is being built now on the OBS. Should be available shortly :)
Buhe22

Post by Buhe22 »

This terminal command adds a third-party PPA which offers the packages for Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 18.10, Ubuntu 19.04 when it comes to the libfaudio0 library which is not available in Ubuntu repositories.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cybermax-dexter/sdl2-backport

I found it on this web page.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... -04-18-04/
RonSMeyer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by RonSMeyer »

Buhe22 wrote:This terminal command adds a third-party PPA which offers the packages for Ubuntu 18.04, Ubuntu 18.10, Ubuntu 19.04 when it comes to the libfaudio0 library which is not available in Ubuntu repositories.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cybermax-dexter/sdl2-backport

I found it on this web page.
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... -04-18-04/
THANK YOU! This worked on Mint 19.1.
Cybermax
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Cybermax »

Current status of libfaudio0 - August 2019 - and Debian/Ubuntu distro's:

The newest release of libFAudio0 is FAudio-19.08 released 01. august 2019.

Currently this requires the library "libstb-dev" to be built. This is currently NOT available for Ubuntu 18.04, so no newer libFAudio0 than 19.07 will be built for 18.04 on the OBS buildserver. This MAY change if the library becomes available for 18.04.

Ubuntu 18.10 "Cosmic" - is EOL, and will no longer be built.
Debian 9 "Stretch" - Does not have the required libraries, and is not built.

Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco" and Debian 10 "Buster" should be built shortly.

I do however provide packages for 18.04 on my PPA - ppa:cybermax-dexter/sdl2-backport (as mentioned in the previous post).
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Cybermax wrote:I do however provide packages for 18.04 on my PPA - ppa:cybermax-dexter/sdl2-backport (as mentioned in the previous post).
Note that those packages are not supported here.
dimesio

Re: FAudio for Debian 10 and Ubuntu 18.04

Post by dimesio »

Ubuntu 18.04 and Debian 10 are EOL; there will be no more packages for them, and the OBS repositories deleted.