WineHQ
Wine Forums

Board index » WineHQ » Wine Help » Linux

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:45 am 
Level 1
Level 1

So, I've seen a lot of people getting software under WINE to work by manually installing certain software, such as DirextX, or the Visual C redistributables, but without mentioning how they did it. Before going on an assumption, can I just confirm that I'd be downloading the relevant installers as I would on a Windows system, then running them under WINE? If not, what's the proper way to do it?

Also, is there a list of commonly used redistributables I could use to increase the chances of Windows software working correctly? Probably a vague question, given that different programs needs different installers, but I'm trying to cover all my bases here. Or at least, most of them.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:54 am 

The best way to do it is to use winetricks, as that works around known bugs in Wine. https://wiki.winehq.org/Winetricks

As for which ones to install, only install the ones you know your app or game needs, as using native dlls unnecessarily can prevent things from working.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:23 am 
Level 1
Level 1

Problem is, I'm not sure which ones would be needed, and which ones would be unnecessary, as what I want to run isn't listed in the app database. I figured I'd start experimenting.

On that note though, what would you recommend when it comes to trying different things out for untested software (this may or may not be a vague/broad question)?

Post Posted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:22 pm 

Try initially in a clean wineprefix, using the current development or staging release (if one branch doesn't work, try the other). If you're on 64 bit and a 32 bit application doesn't work, try a 32 bit wineprefix. If it's an older application, you might also want to try setting the Windows version to XP or earlier. If none of that works, post terminal output, with a description of what is happening.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » WineHQ » Wine Help » Linux