[Help] Amd Performance

Questions about Wine on Linux
ace953

[Help] Amd Performance

Post by ace953 »

Hi, i been using wine for a while with AMD FX 8320E eight core 8GBRAM Nvidia 960 2GB and Amd overclocked for 3.5 Ghz
I tryed a old game Assasin's Creed 1 and many other games i seen my fps aways bellow 30 while on windows 60-120+ fps but i see guys with Intel CPU (old cpu) duo core having better performance Than my amd fx 8320e,some games run fine with a little lag but on other games its unplayable with linux native games its almost the same i have good performance but sometimes it fuck up can someone try to help me or tell me about this Cpu performance on linux?
Leopard
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [Help] Amd Performance

Post by Leopard »

Which version of Wine are you using?

https://www.winehq.org/download
Bob Wya
Level 12
Level 12

Re: [Help] Amd Performance

Post by Bob Wya »

@ace953

Well that AMD CPU was a complete turkey... For example see:Tech Radar: AMD FX-8320E review...
Also it's not really an eight core CPU - it's a four core CPU. Unless you except AMD's redefinition of a what a core means...

Each wineserver process is single-threaded - so needs good per-core IPC.
Wine also introduces CPU overhead with blocks of instructions to translate Windows system calls to native Linux system calls.
So essentially Wine needs very good single-threaded CPU performance / CPU IPC (instructions per clock) - to get the best performance.
AMD Piledriver modules - do not have this...

Initially AMD tried to drag out the revamped K8 series - with the K10 (Phenom line).
Then they introduced the Bulldozer line - with many revisions. Not met with great enthusiasm by the tech press or die-hard AMD fans...
AMD had to go back to the drawing board - after many, many years in the wilderness (about a decade)...
I will most likely pick up an AMD Threadripper (Zen 1) CPU - mainly because AMD gone back to basics - good per core/thread IPC.
See Wikipedia: Bulldozer (microarchitecture) ... Worth a read about all the technical issues Bulldozer had - inherent in the design...

Really I'd recommend just saving up to buy one the cheaper Ryzen CPU's. It's time to upgrade!

Bob