Win prog works with wine, but Launcher starts prog, gets err

Questions about Wine on Linux
PLML

Win prog works with wine, but Launcher starts prog, gets err

Post by PLML »

Hi Forum,

I have searched many forums for a solution to this problem, but can't find one. Some close, but don't work.

I have installed wine on Linux Mint 17, and have several Windows programs running successfully, such as Irfanview, started by a Launcher.

One however is a problem. I can start the program by right clicking the .exe file, Open with Wine Windows Program Loader, and its runs perfectly. No problems.

I then created a Launcher for this .exe, and it starts the program, but the program brings up a small windows saying it cannot find a file it uses, even though they are in the same folder, and the program terminates. No matter where the launcher is located, even in the program folder, I get the same result - program cannot find a needed file.

Other .exe programs with files similar to this I have created a Launcher for, work OK.

Am I missing something?

Thanks. PLML
dimesio

Re: Win prog works with wine, but Launcher starts prog, gets

Post by dimesio »

You need to set the working directory in the launcher to the location of the executable. In KDE's menu editor, put it in the "Work path" field; I don't know about other desktops. If yours doesn't have a way to do that, use wine start /unix and the full unix-style path as the command to run the executable.
PLML

Post by PLML »

Hi dimesio, thanks for the quick reply. I tried all variations of both your suggestions, and neither worked.

The Linux Mint 17 Launcher does not have a field for a Work or Environment path. I discovered there appears to be a Path field for Launcher, so I added Path=/full path to exe file/ and got Error: Details: :Failed to change to directory '/home/-user-/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/-program folder-' (No such file or directory) . I tried several variations of the full path name, but got same error each time.

Am I not specifying the Path correctly? "Path=" appears to be recognised, but not what I am entering. Do you have an example of a Path= line?
PLML

Post by PLML »

Fixed it! Thank you. The context of the Path statement in Launcher is very concise. It requires a "space" after Path= , as in "Path= /home etc
PLML

SOLVED: Win prog works with wine, but Launcher starts prog,

Post by PLML »

Update to the Subject