How do I remove or ignore PlayOnLinux virtual drives?

Questions about Wine on Linux
MarloweC
Level 2
Level 2

How do I remove or ignore PlayOnLinux virtual drives?

Post by MarloweC »

So I'm pretty new to Wine, PlayOnLinux, and just Linux in general. I attempted to install League of Legends using Wine, and I thought it wasn't working but actually I just had no idea how to do it (and probably still don't). So I installed using PlayOnLinux, which worked, but it doesn't work with the new Wine version. I wanted to try just installing using Wine without PlayOnLinux (which I know is possible), but apparently my only virtual drive is WITHIN PlayOnLinux and I can't seem to figure out how to get it anywhere else. Wine keeps looking for the virtual drive but it's simply not finding it because it's inside the PlayOnLinux folder...
dimesio

Re: How do I remove or ignore PlayOnLinux virtual drives?

Post by dimesio »

You can delete the POL folders the same way you would delete any other folder.

If you run Wine directly rather than through POL, it should by default use ~/.wine as the wineprefix. You can also specify other wineprefixes on the command line. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#wineprefix
MarloweC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarloweC »

I actually figured out most of that in the time it took to get the post approved, but thank you anyway. Part of the problem was that my .wine directory was hidden.

However, I do have an additional question. It appears that whenever I run wine commands in the terminal, it's using the 32 bit installation. I am using amd64 and AFAIK I have both 32 bit and 64 bit wine installed. I don't know how I can run wine commands using 64 bit. Everything I've read suggests it should do this automatically if I am using amd64, but it doesn't seem to be. Could this be a problem with multiarch settings? How do I detect settings and/or configure multiarch?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

If 64 bit Wine is installed, that is the the default. What makes you think it's using 32 bit?
MarloweC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarloweC »

Two things:

1. When I type winecfg, it's using version 1.6.2, which is installed for 32 bit. The 64 bit installation is 1.7.51. Or at least that's how I'm understanding it.

2. When I use the command WINEARCH=win64 winecfg, I get the following error: wine: '/home/marlowe/.wine' is a 32-bit installation, it cannot support 64-bit applications.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

MarloweC wrote: 1. When I type winecfg, it's using version 1.6.2, which is installed for 32 bit. The 64 bit installation is 1.7.51. Or at least that's how I'm understanding it.
For most distros, you can't have distro packages of more than one Wine version installed at the same time. My guess is that 1.6.2 is from a distro package, and 1.7.51 is POL. You could run the POL version by using the full path to it, but if you want to get rid of POL altogether, uninstall it and upgrade your distro Wine package to the latests development release.

FYI, on a 64 bit system you should have both the 32 and 64 bit parts of Wine installed in the same version. This is needed for a working WoW64 setup.
2. When I use the command WINEARCH=win64 winecfg, I get the following error: wine: '/home/marlowe/.wine' is a 32-bit installation, it cannot support 64-bit applications.
That means it was created as a 32 bit wineprefix. You can't change the architecture of an existing wineprefix.
MarloweC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarloweC »

They are both distro packages. I installed using Synaptic. The 32 bit installation is only because POL doesn't work at all with 64 bit Wine.

Looking at my installed packages again it actually appears I somehow have parts of 1.6.2 and parts of 1.7.51 installed for both 32 bit and 64 bit... I may want to completely remove both and try to reinstall just the 64 bit in 1.7.51.

So I need to create another wineprefix with 64 bit architecture? How do I do that? Do I need to delete the one I have?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

MarloweC wrote:I may want to completely remove both and try to reinstall just the 64 bit in 1.7.51.
Yes, do that. However, keep in mind that a proper install will have both 32 and 64 bit parts, so don't be surprised to see 32 bit Wine pulled in.
So I need to create another wineprefix with 64 bit architecture? How do I do that? Do I need to delete the one I have?
The default wineprefix is 64 bit if you have 64 bit Wine installed, so you don't have to do anything other than create the wineprefix once you have sorted out your installed packages. If you want to use the same wineprefix you will have to delete the 32 bit one you have; otherwise, just create a separate one.
MarloweC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarloweC »

Will uninstalling Wine from Synaptic delete the 32 bit prefix as well, then create a 64 bit prefix when I reinstall?

If I do create a separate one manually, how would I do that?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Uninstalling Wine won't delete any wineprefixes. You have to do that manually. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#uninstall

To create a new wineprefix, follow the instructions in the wiki that I linked you to above.
MarloweC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarloweC »

Ok, after deleting the 32 bit wineprefix, I discovered that I already HAD a 64 bit wineprefix, but now I'm getting almost the reverse error...

marlowe@debianMarlowe:~$ export WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64
marlowe@debianMarlowe:~$ wine winecfg
wine: '/home/marlowe/.wine64' is a 64-bit installation, it cannot be used with a 32-bit wineserver.

Why would it be attempting to use a 32-bit wineserver?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Sounds like you only have 32 bit Wine installed.
MarloweC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarloweC »

The packages wine64 and wine64-development are both installed. What else is needed? Is there some dependency that Synaptic may have missed?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Follow these instructions: https://www.winehq.org/download/debian.
MarloweC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarloweC »

Uh... Well I did that, and as expected it just told me the latest version is already installed.

I realize you're a moderator, but it seems moderator privileges don't require extensive knowledge because I REALLY don't think you understand what the issue is here. I mean, I don't know how to fix it either, but I know installing something that is already installed is not going to fix anything.
bababa3216

Post by bababa3216 »

The 32 bit installation is only because POL doesn't work at all with 64 bit Wine.
ทดลองเล่นคาสิโนออนไลน์
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Uninstall all versions of Wine you have, including POL, and then reinstall only plain 1.7.51 following the instructions in the wiki.
MarloweC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarloweC »

Ok... so... umm...

I removed ALL of them now, but...

Those instructions are for installing 32 bit wine. WHY do you want me to be installing 32 bit? That is exactly what I want NOT. TO. HAPPEN.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The instructions in the "On 64 bit Debian" section are for installing both the 32 and 64 bit packages needed for a functioning system. If you don't add i386 architecture, you will end up with pure 64 bit Wine, which won't run much of anything.
MarloweC
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MarloweC »

Well, as it was, I had both installed and could only run a 32 bit wineserver. I fail to see how this would change that.

Another reason I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about is that I learned on my own with zero assistance from you that winecfg configures the stable version, and to configure the development version I would need to use winecfg-development. You knew that's what I was trying to do, saw that I was using winecfg rather than winecfg-development, and didn't bother to correct it.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

MarloweC wrote:You knew that's what I was trying to do, saw that I was using winecfg rather than winecfg-development, and didn't bother to correct it.
"Didn't know" not "didn't bother." That setup is unique to the Debian packages, it's very new, and I didn't even know you were on Debian until you posted the terminal output. In all other distros, the commands are simply "wine" and "winecfg", regardless of whether you are using the stable or development branch. But I'm glad you figured it out on your own.