diablo2 and lod

Questions about Wine on Linux
the_diablo1

diablo2 and lod

Post by the_diablo1 »

Hi, and yes an old topic...but for a nubee :oops: Is there a step by step instruction for a sequential installation of Diablo2 and lod anywhere? I have just entered the world on zorin9 and impressed with its functuality. I am prepared to work on it as I was told there were "installation of games" challenges so here I am.
the_diablo1

Re: diablo2 and lod

Post by the_diablo1 »

Maybe I am in the wrong area??? Or... maybe no wine users play diablo2!!
Hummm...can't get blizzard's forum help...this appears to hold the same degree of difficulty :(
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

You probably did not get any answers because it is not clear what issues you have encountered, and it is not even clear if any of them are related to Wine or if you asking for general game related help. You did not mention any specific problems, did not describe what you have tried to solve them, have not mentioned what Wine version you are using, etc.

Anyway, if you are looking for Wine-specific information, I recommend reading AppDB: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... ion&iId=74 . Since both Diablo 2 and LOD have Gold rating or higher, there is not much to say unless you have real-world issues and cannot find a solution in AppDB.
the_diablo1

Post by the_diablo1 »

Hi yes your right of course, but I did state I am new to the world of Lynix...and have been spoilt by having windows do everything for me in the past computer-wise...even frustrate the hell out of me but if you were new in a world and were not familiar with the way things work or what was required from you... and then be expected to retrieve data without knowing how or where to start...well maybe I am destined to be a slave of windows forever...as distasteful as that seems (: . I am sorry I am not more computer literate... and at 63 it is more difficult to learn what is apparently second nature to you.
As for "real world issues" I think as a moderator a bit more understanding of another persons leisure activities could be applied. Gaming beats the hell out of pub crawling or gambling. " ".

Anyway, thanks for your input.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

By "real world issues" I mean issues you actually have encountered when trying to install or run the game, or when installing or using Wine itself. I'm willing to help, but I have to know what is the problem and what you have tried so far. We have New User Guide posted on top in this forum, it good place to start and there you could find things such how to get Wine version (by running "wine --version" in terminal) and other useful information about using Wine and this forum.

Since you did not say what issues you have encountered with Wine or with the game, I can only guess. One thing that comes to mind that maybe learning how to use plain Wine is not what you really want and perhaps you are looking for nice and easy to use graphical user interface for Wine. In this case you may consider PlayOnLinux, in it you just click "Install", choose "Games" and in the list choose "Diablo II" or "Diablo II: Lord of Destruction". Then you will be guided through installation process of the game. However, please note that PlayOnLinux is third-party wrapper and not supported here, so if you choose to use it, in case you will have questions about it, you will need to ask help on their forum: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/forum-72 ... Linux.html .
the_diablo1

Post by the_diablo1 »

Hi, thanks. I have tried several times to reply effectively however the web page refuses to dispaly and all the messages typed keep disappearing. Typical windows!!
I will try to familiarise myself with the faq s and the way zorin works. Not easy when windows has done nearly everything automatically and then needing to actually input commands and find ways of doing things outside of just clicking on icons. I appreciate the trials of addressing matters (you) when the other party has no idea (myself) and it seems so basic the the learned ones (you again).
Thanks again, the trick may be to try to install via terminal. If not it appears I have more reading to do before I look for easy fixes with no insight as to how things work in Zorin.