Steam and Resident Evil 5 problem

Questions about Wine on Linux
adriansnetlis
Level 1
Level 1

Steam and Resident Evil 5 problem

Post by adriansnetlis »

I have problems with Steam installation. I use PlayOnLinux to make it easier to install. I tired upgrading Wine to 1.7.45, but it didn't solve anything. Here is log when I used 1.7.44:
http://www.pasteall.org/58885
Someone made me pay atteintion to theese errors:

Code: Select all

[0514/203417:WARNING:raw_channel.cc(218)] Shutting down RawChannel with write buffer nonempty
[0514/204220:WARNING:raw_channel_win.cc(471)] WriteFile: Pipe not connected. (0xE9)
[0514/204220:WARNING:channel.cc(320)] RawChannel write error
wine: Unhandled exception 0x80000003 in thread 42 at address 0x1151a8eb (thread 0042), starting debugger...
IPC client is in my process, could/should be using an in-process pipe.IPC client is in my process, could/should be using an in-process pipe.Process of pid=002d has terminated
Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix this? It may be releated to this problem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwhDzHRb-Tg
L. Rahyen

Re: Steam and Resident Evil 5 problem

Post by L. Rahyen »

According to AppDB, there is some additional things you need to install for the game: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager. ... &iId=32123 . PlayOnLinux is not supported here, so please reinstall the game with plain Wine in clean Wine prefix and try to follow instructions in the AppDB entry. Also, it may be a good idea to export WINEARCH=win32 before creating Wine prefix. For example, to move out of the way old default Wine prefix and create new 32-bit one:

Code: Select all

mv ~/.wine ~/wine.old
export WINEARCH=win32
wineboot
Alternatively, you may specify for this game separate Wine prefix with WINEPREFIX environment variable (good choice if you have many other applications in default Wine prefix).
adriansnetlis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adriansnetlis »

Could you show me full explanations for plain Wine installation? Also, when I tried to do it freshly, I couldn't log in even seeing fonts as the guard requests me the code, but there passes a lot of time(20 mins minimum) till I recieve the e-mail with code. I followed that thread you shown there, installed the components aswell as the program listed in my POL virtual drive.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

If you "tried to do it freshly" with POL again and encountered problems, this does not matter much by itself. I myself seen cases when something works with plain Wine but does not work in POL. All third-party wrappers may cause problems of their own sometimes, this is why they are not supported here. So you really need to try plain Wine in order to make sure that the problem is present in plain Wine.

Regarding plain Wine installation, normally you just download Wine package for your distro (alternatively, you can build Wine yourself), install it, then cd to the directory where installer executable is, run it by executing something like "wine setup.exe", then cd to the directory where you installed your game or application (for example, cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/My\ Game/ ), then run it with "wine game.exe" (replace game.exe with the real file name). Additionally, you may need to "export WINEARCH=win32" first if you want to create 32-bit Wine prefix, and to start fresh you need to move out of the way old Wine prefix or specify different one, as explained in my previous message.
adriansnetlis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adriansnetlis »

OK! But will 1.6.2 work fine? Trying to build 1.7.44 caused a lot of problems and failed for me aswell as made me problems installing back Wine 1.6.2 later.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

You can try 1.6 and follow instructions in the AppDB entry with it, but if it does not work you have to upgrade to at least 1.7.42 which is mentioned in the AppDB entry. Other versions might work too, but this is unknown without testing.

Building Wine cannot cause problems installing other versions later. However improper manual installation can (or forgetting to uninstall local build before installing different version). For Debian-based distribution I recommend "checkinstall" instead of "make install" (because checkinstall creates .deb file). Also, before building Wine it is good idea to make sure that "./configure --verbose" does not complain about missing dependencies.
adriansnetlis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adriansnetlis »

L. Rahyen wrote:You can try 1.6 and follow instructions in the AppDB entry with it, but if it does not work you have to upgrade to at least 1.7.42 which is mentioned in the AppDB entry. Other versions might work too, but this is unknown without testing.

Building Wine cannot cause problems installing other versions later. However improper manual installation can (or forgetting to uninstall local build before installing different version). For Debian-based distribution I recommend "checkinstall" instead of "make install" (because checkinstall creates .deb file). Also, before building Wine it is good idea to make sure that "./configure --verbose" does not complain about missing dependencies.
So I want to know all required to builid for my Ubuntu machine in correct order. Is it:
  • Uninstall Wine 1.6.2
  • Extract and 'cd the directory of Wine 1.7.45 soure'
  • './configure'
  • 'make depend'
  • 'make'
  • 'checkinstall'
If anything is missing out there, please, tell me.
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

You may want to run ./configure --verbose first to make sure everything is good. If it is, run "make && sudo checkinstall". Also, you may want to read http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit if you did not already.
adriansnetlis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by adriansnetlis »

Why it should be so complicated? Couldn't Wine just release .deb installer also for latest version? Or a menu bar in the Wine install to install Wine version and than select one of them?
L. Rahyen

Post by L. Rahyen »

In this case you do not need latest Wine version. Ideally, you need 1.7.42 because it is known to work according to AppDB, but you can try any other Wine version which is not too old. However, when trying different version, there is small chance that the issue was fixed by version mentioned in AppDB or there was regression in some next version (in such case ability to build Wine is essential for regression testing).

If this is still too complicated for you, can you try in PlayOnLinux Resident Evil 5 demo: http://resident-evil-5-benchmark.en.softonic.com/ and tell me if you can reproduce your issue in it (it is not playable demo, but if you are experiencing early crashes or unusual darkening effect in full game, there is a chance you will encounter same issues with the demo too). If yes, then I could test the demo too but in plain Wine, and tell if it works for me or, if I encounter the same issues as you, perhaps I will try to find a workaround or at least confirm that this a bug in plain Wine. However, if issues you are experiencing are not reproducible in the demo, then you probably have to learn to use plain Wine, because most people do not have the game and will not buy full version just to test it in plain Wine.