Should windows app be installed in seperate prefixes

Questions about Wine on Linux
Ham13
Level 2
Level 2

Should windows app be installed in seperate prefixes

Post by Ham13 »

Hello,

I remember a post that suggested I install each Windows app in a separate Wine prefix. The writer said many serious Wine users did this to prevent one app from corrupting or interfering with another. I've got Ham Radio Deluxe and TQSL running on Ubuntu 14.04 and do not want to cause a problem by installing another app in the same prefix. I want to install Echolink 2.xx. I see from the database that it works with Wine.

The questions are: Should I create and use a new wine prefix for Echolink?, How do I create the new Prefix and switch between prefixes? Do I use the Wine.cfg applet? And How do I run an app in a different prefix?

Thanks,
Marty
dimesio

Re: Should windows app be installed in seperate prefixes

Post by dimesio »

Ham13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ham13 »

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. From your answer it looks like I should create a new prefix and install the app in the new prefix. Is that correct?

Thanks,
Marty
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Yes. Menu links created by winemenubuilder from the installer should point to the correct wineprefix, but if you run the app from a terminal you will have to specify the wineprefix. You will also have to specify the wineprefix when running winecfg or installing anything with winetricks to it.
Ham13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ham13 »

OK I got the new prefix created using the commands "export WINEPREFIX=/home/marty/.Ecolink" and "winecfg" at the terminal prompt. Verified that it existed. Then tried to install EcholinkSetup_2_0_208.exe by typing WINEPREFIX=/home/marty/.Echolink Wine EcholinkSetup_2_0_208.exe". Got error "Wine cannot find L 'C:\\Windows\\system32\\EcholinkSetup_2_0_208.exe".

Tried as root got same error. Tried setting the wine prefix and double clicking the exe and it installed into .Wine. Like to install it into .Echolink. Where am I going wrong? Should the exe be in the .Echolink directory as that's where it seems to be looking for it?

Thanks,
Marty
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You need to cd to the directory containing the executable before trying to run it. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal

Double check the name of your wineprefix. Your post said ".Ecolink" in one place and ".Echolink" in another.

And since you have run Wine as root, delete the wineprefix and start over. Running as root messes up the permissions.
Ham13
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Ham13 »

Let me be more specific. I created the new prefix as user marty on Ubuntu 14.04. I used the commands "export WINEPREFIX=/home/marty/.Echolink" and "winecfg" at the terminal prompt. I then confirmed that /home/marty/.Echolink existed. I cd to the desktop where the installer is located. I then tried to run the installer for Echolink - EcholinkSetup_2_0_208.exe by typing WINEPREFIX=/home/marty/.Echolink Wine EcholinkSetup_2_0_208.exe". Got error "Wine cannot find L 'C:\\Windows\\system32\\EcholinkSetup_2_0_208.exe".

I see now that I miss typed the Echolink installer. It should have been EcholinkSetup_2_0_908.exe. This might have been the problem.

I'll delete the prefix and start over as you suggested. I'll log in as user marty and create the new prefix .Echolink. Then to INSTAll Echolink to the new prefix I should use WINEPREFIX=/home/marty/.Echolink Wine EcholinkSetup_2_0_908.exe.
This should open the installer and install Echolink into .Echolink. Is this the correct way to install the application?

I know to run it from the terminal that is the syntax but, I'm trying to install it. Then I can it run from a menu or shortcut.

Thank you for your continued help in the matter.

Marty