Networking (sometimes) doesn't work

Questions about Wine on Linux
mqduck

Networking (sometimes) doesn't work

Post by mqduck »

As the title says, networking doesn't work with some applications. For instance, trying to set up or connect to a direct IP game of Civilization IV gives me an error saying "The network socket could not be created". wine-doors gives an error saying "Network connection not present". However, iexplore loads pages just fine.

I've read 10.15 in the Wine FAQ and it doesn't solve the problem. The computer isn't behind any kind of router and 'hostname -i' returns its real IP address.

Any ideas?
dimesio

Re: Networking (sometimes) doesn't work

Post by dimesio »

Wine-doors is not supported here (and I thought that project was long dead). This forum is for plain Wine only.

Reinstall your app to a clean, 32 bit wineprefix using the latest development release of plain Wine, and if the problem persists, post terminal output.
mqduck

Post by mqduck »

Yeah, I don't actually care about wine-doors. I was thinking of PlayOnLinux when I installed it. I just mentioned it because it seemed to be suffering from the same issue. Anyway, updating to 1.7.28 (from 1.6.2) seems to have fixed it, both for Civ 4 and wine-doors (which surprises me for such a relatively old game).

But what I really want to get working still doesn't so maybe you can help me with that. I want to run a Civ IV pitboss server (which is a different executable), and it's still hanging at the same place it always did, right after selecting Direct IP. Unfortunately, it doesn't give any kind of error message. It just straight freezes. I can't seem to attach a file for some reason, so I uploaded the log here: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=rWm8LcfQ
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Code: Select all

err:wincodecs:PngEncoder_CreateInstance Trying to save PNG picture, but PNG support is not compiled in.
I don't know if that's the cause of your specific problem, but you do need to fix that, as it can prevent many things from working.