MediaMonkey suddenly only starts as root

Questions about Wine on Linux
daharn
Level 1
Level 1

MediaMonkey suddenly only starts as root

Post by daharn »

Hi,

I have already spent some amount of time, trying to get MediaMonkey to run in a wine emulated desktop in a new X-session.

I haven't achieved this yet, however I had made some progress, until suddenly (and "suddenly" in this case means I have no idea how I broke it) MediaMonkey will not run as regular user, only as root.

So when I do

Code: Select all

cd .wine/drive_c/Program Files/MediaMonkey
wine MediaMonkey.exe
I can see the wineserver.exe and and instances of MediaMonkey getting started in my task-manager, but apperently the latter are being killed and restarted again and again. The application is not launched. This happens, regardless whether I use the desktop emulation or not. Only if I use

Code: Select all

su
wine MediaMonkey.exe
I can get it to launch, which of course is not what I want.

It used to run quite fine and I am really lost what caused it. I already re-installed both MediaMonkey and wine, deleted my .wine-directory. It also seems only to affect MediaMonkey since I am still able to run i.e. the wine explorer or the internet explorer as normal user. So this might actually not be a wine-related problem.

Any ideas on how I can at least find out what is missing? console output does not give any hint, process seems just to be stopped at some point with the wine-instances being looped as described above.

Additional detail: While trying to use the second X-session, I might have messed around with the alsa audio-drivers , but using other musicplayers still works.
dimesio

Re: MediaMonkey suddenly only starts as root

Post by dimesio »

The most common cause of that problem is that user messed up the wineprefix's permissions by running as sudo/root. Deleting it and recreating it as a normal user should have fixed that, but it also sounds like you subsequently ran as root again, which would have messed it up again.
I might have messed around with the alsa audio-drivers
Then perhaps you should try unmessing them.

If you don't know what you might have done, how do you expect us to know?
daharn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daharn »

Thanks for the quick reply! You are of course right that I can not expect a solution for a problem I don't know myself.

My main intend to ask was the hope that someone might have an idea of where I could find some more hints on this, be it logs I don't know about or any other kind of output which could help me find out what's wrong.

What I just now discovered is that, when I start us normal user MediaMonkey.exe it doesn't start MediaMonkey.exe but instead starts "MediaMonkey (non-skinned).exe (non-skinned).exe (non-skinned).exe ......", so an seemingly infinite string...

Might this be related to the wineprefix?

I used zypper (running OpenSuse 13.1) to remove wine and manually deleted any files I could find left on the system, then reinstalled with zypper only to find the same problem. Only after this failed I testetd as root to find out if it was woking that way.

Regarding the alsa-drivers as far as I remember "messing with them" only meant reinitializing and trying to find my soundcard. Since it works as root and I can still play audio as normal user, I would usually think it unlikly that the problem lies there, but I am far from knowing.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

daharn wrote: I used zypper (running OpenSuse 13.1) to remove wine and manually deleted any files I could find left on the system, then reinstalled with zypper only to find the same problem.
That wouldn't have deleted the wineprefix and would not have solved any problems created by a messed-up wineprefix. Try deleting the wineprefix, recreate it by running winecfg, and then reinstalling your app.
daharn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by daharn »

Oh god, nevermind, I found out my mistake... :shock:

And, as expected, only remotely connected to wine...

During my install (and apparently before inside the settings) I unticked a box which says something like "overwrite player-skin with windows default" because I usually ran the non-skinned version anyway due to better performance. Apparently this caused wine to be unable to launch the player anymore, even though he is able to launch the "(non-skinned)" version from its own .exe.

Thanks for your effort making me look into this a little more accurately. :wink: