Can't Run any apps in Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
JWN
Level 1
Level 1

Can't Run any apps in Wine

Post by JWN »

Ubuntu 14.04

I have installed Wine, but now I am unable to install or run any windows software with it. I tried running the install files (as well as some old stand allone DOS programmes for a test (which still run perfectly well in Win7)), but abolutely nothing happens. I have tried double-clicking the file, I have tried right-click/open with Wine. I have checked that the ownershiop is Me, and that the executable-flag is set. Absolutely no luck. What on earth am I doing wrong???

I have also tried running them from a terminal and thne get the following output:

For the pdf-exchange viewer installer I get:

//
fixme:wininet:query_global_option INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECTED_STATE: semi-stub
fixme:wininet:InternetSetOptionW INTERNET_OPTION_SEND/RECEIVE_TIMEOUT/DATA_SEND_TIMEOUT 5000
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004100
jonnie@jonnie-N150P-N210P-N220P:~$ fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00004100
//

(the last line just seems to repeat forever and nothing else happens)

For some other stand allone DOS program I get:

//
winevdm: Cannot start DOS application Z:\home\jonnie\Temp\VRAMY.EXE
because the DOS memory range is unavailable.
You should install DOSBox.
//

Help please!
dimesio

Re: Can't Run any apps in Wine

Post by dimesio »

The current version of PDF-XChange Viewer doesn't work very well in Wine. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=23721
You should install DOSBox.
Do what it says.
JWN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JWN »

Please, I am not a guru with computers. I am using Ubuntu for only six months now because it works for most things better than Windows. I need a pdf-viewer that can view my tax assessments. I can view them in Win7, but no pdf-viewer for Ubuntu seems to be able to view those specific docs. I can view any other pdf-doc in Ubuntu though.

Somebody recommended I install Wine and pdf-xchange viewer. Also on recommendation I installed version 1.6 of Wine because version 1.7 is apparently not stable (?). I have gone through all the given steps to setup Wine, but I am still unable to install pdf-xchange. I also tried to run several other windows/dos applications as a test, but absolutely nothing runs on my computer. I always get one of the two results posted in my opening post. Now according to the link posted above I have all the requirements short of version 1.7 of Wine for pdf-xchange to work, but it doesn’t work.

So what I want to know now is:

1) Do I need DOSBox to run any windows/dos app? If so, why was it not installed together with Wine?

2) Where do I get DOSBox?

3) If I don’t need DOSBox to run all apps, then why doesn’t anything run on my computer?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

JWN wrote: Also on recommendation I installed version 1.6 of Wine because version 1.7 is apparently not stable (?).
http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-0bae04b ... acb6f367ff
Now according to the link posted above I have all the requirements short of version 1.7 of Wine for pdf-xchange to work, but it doesn’t work.
The Wine version is one of the most important requirements. If you are not willing to upgrade, you will just have to live with the shortcomings of the old version. However, since PDF-XChange Viewer is known to have issues even in the current development release, I would also recommend trying a PDF reader that is known to work well in current Wine, such as Foxit Reader. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=4060
1) Do I need DOSBox to run any windows/dos app? If so, why was it not installed together with Wine?
DOSBox is needed to run DOS apps in a 64 bit system. It is not part of Wine, and not that many people want to do that.
From your distro's repository.
3) If I don’t need DOSBox to run all apps, then why doesn’t anything run on my computer?
The only Windows app you've mentioned trying to run is one known to have problems in Wine. Try something that's rated platinum in the AppDB, and if it doesn't work in the current development release, post terminal output. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
JWN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JWN »

//

From your distro's repository.
//

Please sir, I have said in my previous post that I am not a computer guru. If you can't answer in a civilised manner, can you please get someone else to answer me. I really nead help to get this thing running, and your answers really doesn't help much. What is my "disto's repository"???
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

JWN wrote: Please sir, I have said in my previous post that I am not a computer guru. If you can't answer in a civilised manner, can you please get someone else to answer me. I really nead help to get this thing running, and your answers really doesn't help much. What is my "disto's repository"???
Ubuntu has extensive documentation aimed at newbies; I suggest you read it. If you have any questions on how to install packages, ask for help on the Ubuntu forum. This forum is for Wine questions only; basic knowledge of how to use your operating system, which includes using your package manager, is assumed here.
JWN
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JWN »

Thank you for trying sir. May peace follow you.
A Laggy Grunt

Post by A Laggy Grunt »

Ubuntu has some native Linux PDF viewers. Firefox (or whatever they renamed it to) should be one of them.