Mac Noob can't get wine .. is it even possible?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
shiffd

Mac Noob can't get wine .. is it even possible?

Post by shiffd »

I'm having a lot of trouble with wine.
I have a macbook pro. It is 64 bit. I am using OSX, all the latest updates. I have java installed and x11 (to the best of my knowledge...I am a mac noob so maybe I don't right now)

I am asking for help, a path or guide of what I need to do to put WINE on the latest OSX on a macbook pro, or a clear indication that this program can't and won't work on OSX (64bit processor). One or the other please.

This is what I have tried~

attempt 1, about a month or two ago~
I tried homebrew, macports and a few other things, eventually the computer broke and crashed and I had to completely reinstall everything. I never got anything to work, no matter what I tried. I am 90% certain it was my attempts to use wine that broke the computer. I could be wrong of course, but the timing and the extreme difficulty and risk that I felt messing around with Xcode and all that other nonsense (as a complete noob to mac) convinced me.

This time=
I am trying to use your help pages etc. on this site...... This is what I am seeing~

FAQ~.2. How do I install Wine?

Use a precompiled binary package for your operating system/distribution (see the Wine download page for links and additional information).>

No binary package for OSX (no free one anyway)

when I look at compiling myself and all that....gets really nasty complicated.

crossover has a 'trial'..... Is it basically only possible if I PAY? I mean...does crossover work?

I'm not a computer programmer, so I'm not interested in trying to compile anything myself...and not interested in breaking the computer again.

It looks like there is no other easy option, and no option that doesn't run a risk of my whole system crashing again and me losing all my data AGAIN...well I guess even crossover could crash me too.

Well anyway I am about to give up on anything and everything not made for mac, as mac wants I guess. Although I hate mac, I'm not buying an OS anytime soon and I am not learning how to use any other impossible OS that isn't compatible with anything at all. macbook works fine for all my work stuff, web, vids, email etc. Just games don't work :(

I guess I am asking, is there anything besides crossover as an option? And does crossover even work?
dimesio

Re: Mac Noob can't get wine .. is it even possible?

Post by dimesio »

Crossover works. There are also other third party apps for Mac such as Wineskin, Winebottler, and PlayOnMac that are free. Just be aware that none of them are supported here. http://wiki.winehq.org/ThirdPartyApplications