Is there surround sound support in Wine?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Rabcor
Level 1
Level 1

Is there surround sound support in Wine?

Post by Rabcor »

Does Wine support surround sound? (e.g. 5.1/7.1 sources/output)

Does it have any specific dependencies (like pulsaudio or openal) for surround sound to work?
dimesio

Re: Is there surround sound support in Wine?

Post by dimesio »

alexjames212
Level 1
Level 1

Post by alexjames212 »

i think yes
Rabcor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rabcor »

I see, so not quite yet. That's kinda sad considering every other gamer has either a surround sound speaker set, or surround headphones.

I can upmix with alsa/pulse but this is just lame :roll: multi-channel support is such a basic feature, I can't believe it wasn't implemented 6 years ago or so. You guys are behind.

Then again, most Linux applications are behind on surround sound support, I have yet to find an application that can auto-detect how many channels are present (with alsa, i've found a few games that do this with pulseaudio) and configure the output accordingly. On Linux it is an absolute thing that if an application doesn't offer it's users to manually configure the channel layout, it does not support more than 2 channels at all, whereas in Windows most applications these days are auto-detecting and configuring this out of the box and don't bother offering a channel layout option at all. They just query the drivers and set their audio accordingly. (pretty much the only applications I've found are movie players (mplayer2/vlc/mpv/cmplayer) and a select few games (dota2 only so far))

This is a particularly important feature for games too. Shooters and RPGs in particular.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

According to comments 48 & 50 in the bug report, winealsa has supported multichannel since 1.5.11, and it should "just work" provided the host system is properly set up. What doesn't work (yet) with multichannel is Wine's dsound.
Rabcor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rabcor »

The testing sound in winecfg did not playback in surround (only my two front speakers) if I did not upmix. Is the sound test still only for stereo? Also, Winecfg wouldn't let me select the surround51 pcm (only system default and "out" for my specific card)

Dsound is what most games use right? what's the point of surround sound support if it doesn't work with games :roll: not like we're gonna be playing movies in Wine, K-Lite doesn't even work! No Dsound surround support is just about as bad as no surround support at all.