Red Light District

Questions about Wine on Linux
Atheenah

Red Light District

Post by Atheenah »

I am trying to play Red Light District other known as Utherverse but it crashes . The program suggests that it needs more programing to run . I am hoping somebody can help me to get this program running . I can run it when using playonlinux but I want to run the program in windows 8 and playonlinux dosent go there only wine .
dimesio

Re: Red Light District

Post by dimesio »

First, I have no idea what you mean by "needs more programing to run," and I doubt that's what the error message actually said.

Second, regarding running as Windows 8, if you are under the impression that that is somehow better, you are wrong. That does little more than change the Windows version reported to the app, and unless an app absolutely requires a newer version, you should keep it set to XP. As for POL (not supported here, btw), it uses Wine, and while it sometimes uses a hacked version of Wine, I've never heard of them removing Windows versions from Wine as one of their hacks. AFAIK you should be able to select any Windows version in POL that you can in plain Wine.

Bottom line: nothing after your first sentence makes any sense, and "it crashes" is not enough information to troubleshoot anything.

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade. If the problem persists, post terminal output, including the command used to run the app. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
Atheenah

Post by Atheenah »

Don't overrides in library do anything and I am using wine 1.6.2 I have installed q4 wine , wine tricks , wine geko 2.21 , wine 1.6 and wine fish all from software manager so there the latest . I have flash 14 for windows 8 so I can't change to XP I don't see how that's better anyway . What about DirectX think that would help I need help installing that though .
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The current development release is 1.7.20. Upgrade.
I have flash 14 for windows 8 so I can't change to XP I don't see how that's better anyway
You can set Windows versions on a per-app basis, or you can install apps to separate wineprefixes. As for why leaving it at XP is better, there's a reason XP is still the default: it is the version apps are most likely to work in. Lots of apps break when the Windows version is set higher; have you even tried Red Light District in plain Wine set to XP?

As for overrides, I couldn't even begin to recommend any without seeing terminal output from a clean, 32 bit wineprefix in 1.7.20.