Ubuntu 12.04 wine 1.6 (have tried 1.7 and 1.4) and Star Trek

Questions about Wine on Linux
Oisean

Ubuntu 12.04 wine 1.6 (have tried 1.7 and 1.4) and Star Trek

Post by Oisean »

I finally got it to load and if not running full screen can even get into the game. The minute I try and run full screen though it crashes on me. I'm on a 3.07 I3 CPU, 4 Gig of ram, Radeon HD5700 video card which I'm wondering if there's better or other drivers I need for it? I'm using the current ATI Catalyst to my knowledge. This is my first load and first attempt and if I can make that final tweak I'll be happy enough to let Windows collect dust. :)
Bladeforce
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 wine 1.6 (have tried 1.7 and 1.4) and Star

Post by Bladeforce »

Which Star Trek Game? There must be 20 Star Trek games for Windows
Oisean

Post by Oisean »

Sorry ran out of room in the title. Meant to include Star Trek online.

One thing I found was making sure that posix shared memory was enabled but as far as I can tell it is enabled. And it's not just Star Trek but also Civ V via Steam that seems to lock up graphically.
Oisean

Post by Oisean »

Not sure if my other post disappeared or hasn't cleared yet.

It's Star Trek Online and Civ V I'm working on.

Saw a note somewhere about making sure that posix Shared memory is enabled which I believe it is on my system now. (Does this need added to a command line somewhere too?)
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=288 Oisean does pay to read the intro topic when you first get here.

It has the warning about 3 post limit. http://wiki.winehq.org/ForumGuidelines This does tell you want you need to include and where you should be looking for instructions.

Sorry to say the comment about some random location giving you instructions kinda makes us back off doing support as well.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=19203 Star Trek Online
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=21465 Civ V
from out the appdb.

Both are not very happy programs inside wine.
Oisean

Post by Oisean »

Sorry about the random location on the posix shared memory. It was probably the ATI installation instructions. This is really my 2nd day of having ubuntu loaded even and seems a bit overwhelming at times trying to figure out where to go for what.

But based on what I'm seeing there doesn't seem to be answers for what I was looking for. I was hoping somehow I'd missed something somewhere but appears that the 2 main things I'd wanted to get running just aren't going to do it right now.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Oisean you have most likely over reached for your first few days. Wine is not the most friendly beast.

Oisean the appdb tells us that at different versions of wine they have worked for those applications. This does bring the pain of having to build own versions of wine and install and manage own versions of wine. For a person who has been on Linux for less than 3 weeks this is asking way too much. Really you need to try a few platinum and gold rated applications with wine first before trying some of the scary so you have a fell how wine should be acting.

Yes diving in at the deep end without learning how to swim first is a very fast way to drown. Skills and knowledge from windows have very limited application once you hit Linux or OS X. Skills and knowledge transfer between OS X and Linux because the OS designs are related.

Oisean in the short term I would recommend getting to know some open source games like 0ad and freeciv both will soften the impact of the change.

Virtual machines on Linux are also still working out how todo accelerated drivers.

General rule if you can get something native Linux use that ahead of using wine.

Test results with Civ 5 and 1.7.17 are not in yet the keyboard bug might be fixed.(yes there was a patch to fix it the question is did the patch work) for Civ 5.

Star Trek Online is still going to be iffy for a while.