Wine ARCH & PREFIXES and DOTNET3.5 & labsim

Questions about Wine on Linux
WallyZ
Level 1
Level 1

Wine ARCH & PREFIXES and DOTNET3.5 & labsim

Post by WallyZ »

Hi (Newby)

I'm trying to get wine/winetricks workings with DOTNET3.5 & labsim (www.testout.com)
(labsim is 95% working in a browser using wine-pipelight with exception of the lab function)

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. (64 bit)
wine-1.6
WINETRICKS_VERSION=20130919

In order to install DOTNET3.5 and other packages I have been changing the architecture using the following commands when installing packages etc.

$ WINEARCH=WIN32 WINEPREFIX="/home/wallyz/.wine32" wine
or
$ WINEARCH=WIN32 WINEPREFIX="/home/wallyz/.wine32" winetricks

But I now have the following directories:

~./win32
~/.wine
~./wine32
~./wine-pipelight

LABSIM (www.testout.com) isn't working and with all the different wine directories I'm concerned I may have over complicated the setup.

The install of labsim completes without error with either 64 bit or 32 arch. but if I try and start labsim I get the following error:

"The entry point method could not be loaded"

I have tried the following command to start labsim:

$ env WINEARCH=WIN32 env WINEPREFIX="/home/wallyz/.wine32" wine C:\\Program\ Files\ \(x86\)\\TestOut\\Orbis\\OrbisStartup.exe
or
$ env WINEPREFIX="/home/wallyz/.wine32" wine C:\\Program\ Files\ \(x86\)\\TestOut\\Orbis\\OrbisStartup.exe
or
$ wine C:\\Program\ Files\ \(x86\)\\TestOut\\Orbis\\OrbisStartup.exe

If I need to use WINEARCH=WIN32 for dotnet3.5 should I use the same arch to install everything else as well?

Should I remove my wine install and start over again or is the error caused by something else?

Any ideas appreciated!
dimesio

Re: Wine ARCH & PREFIXES and DOTNET3.5 & labsim

Post by dimesio »

Wine-pipelight is a separate project that uses a patched version of Wine. If the app you are trying to run requires wine-pipelight, not plain Wine, you need to ask for help from their support channels.

As for your question about architecture, WINEARCH=32 only needs to be specified when creating the wineprefix. Once created, the architecture cannot be changed. If your wineprefix contains a directory named Program Files (x86) then it is not a 32 bit wineprefix.
WallyZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WallyZ »

To clarify:

LABSIM has both a web client and a stand alone client.

The labsim web client requires wine-pipelight to work but even with that it only works for 90% of the required functions.

I only mentioned the web client because of the .wine-pipelight (prefix) directory which is now also present.

The labsim stand alone client requires dotnet35. This is the setup described in my original post. I can't get this going at all with the exception of the splash screen.

At this stage I'm not sure if I have a missing labsim dependency or if I have messed up my wine configuration.

Is there a way to check for application dependencies?

If I install dotnet35 to a certain prefix must I also install the dotnet35 dependent application to the same prefix?
WallyZ
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WallyZ »

>As for your question about architecture, WINEARCH=32 only needs to be specified when creating the wineprefix.
>Once created, the architecture cannot be changed. If your wineprefix contains a directory named Program Files (x86)
> then it is not a 32 bit wineprefix.

It actually does contain that directory so I must have messed things up. I'll play it safe and remove all of wine and start again.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

WallyZ wrote: If I install dotnet35 to a certain prefix must I also install the dotnet35 dependent application to the same prefix?
Yes.