Most Compatible Linux Distro?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Mik James
Level 2
Level 2

Most Compatible Linux Distro?

Post by Mik James »

Just curious what the most compatible Distro is currently.
I'm currently using Ubuntu based Linux Lite.
Bladeforce
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Most Compatible Linux Distro?

Post by Bladeforce »

I'm using ubuntu 13.04 with nvidia driver 331.17 and seems to be fine with most games. Though I have noticed that playing some games in full screen with a wine engine later than 1.5.0 sometimes makes the screen scroll when moving the mouse. To combat this you have to switch off allow window manager in wine cfg but sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't because it seems to make the keyboard unresponsive. Other than that if you use a window then i've never had a problem with it
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Really the true answer is as a project wine don't bother about what distribution is the most compatible.

Most bugs trace to Wine version. A few trace to Windows Manager selected.

Over all wine is fairly neutral. Biggest issues is getting latest releases.

Like you can mostly group all Ubuntu based distributions into the same stack for issues. Same with most RPM base distributions.

So there is no single great distribution. There are some very user friendly branches. Like Mint Kubuntu... These are all Ubuntu with different Windows managers from Wine point of view. So it really does not matter from a support point of view of wine they are mostly all identical to us.

Ubuntu tree has to be the one of the most maintained. Mind you it not that we have not had our arguments with them.

Yes there are over 20+ distributions to choose from all with about the same quality of support from wine point of view just in the Ubuntu tree.
Cafajeste
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cafajeste »

Mik James wrote:Just curious what the most compatible Distro is currently.
Gentoo?