Batman Arkham Asylum, System Not implemented Exception Error

Questions about Wine on Linux
Mik James
Level 2
Level 2

Batman Arkham Asylum, System Not implemented Exception Error

Post by Mik James »

I get an error when launching the game from steam. There isn't alot of info given but it says:
System not implemented exception: The requested feature is not implemented.

It also states the following in the error message: BmLauncher.systeminfo.GetInfo

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
core
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Batman Arkham Asylum, System Not implemented Exception E

Post by core »

Can you give a full log?
core
Level 3
Level 3

Post by core »

Most possible you are talking about this http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32738
Mik James
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mik James »

Definetly similar though I can't copy and paste from the error message.
I uploaded a screenshot instead.
It posp up around 3 times with the same message and the game won't launch.

I'm currently still in the newbie phase of linux so I can switch distros if that might work around the issue.
Unless this is a common error?
Attachments
Error.jpg
Mik James
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mik James »

Just tried with Linux Mint Ubuntu edition and encountered the same error with the version of wine available on the website (used terminal to install).

I also tried it with the version of wine available from the Linux Mint software manager and it didn't get an error but it wouldn't launch the game.

I did manage to get the Deus Ex Invisible War Demo going though. Now I kind of wish I had bought that instead.
Mik James
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mik James »

I managed to get the game to open (after some new error message popped up a couple times)
But it doesn't go anywhere from there.

I've tried installing the dotnets and got an error message when trying to install 3.5.
I'm also using the catalyst graphics drivers.

I'm not sure why this doesn't work, the appdb for this says to use dotnet 3.5 and i'm using the latest steam version of the game.
Mik James
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mik James »

I got the game running with a really slow framerate by following some of the steps mentioned in the bugzilla bug reports. I'm starting to think this isn't worth the trouble.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I have a feeling linux videocard drivers might not be as good as the windows versions?
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Mik James please read faq

http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-525985f ... e1ee7bafd3

Application error messages are normally next to worthless to us. (ok some rare cases they do help).

What we need is wine own messages this does mean running from terminal/console.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Mik James yes a lot of cases wine performace is with graphics is lower than native.

One thing that can help a lot is if application has opengl support. If on Nvidia turning on Nvidia multi threading also can help a lot.

There are patches in the works to increase wine direct x performance a lot as well. Yes drivers were really bad. Wine was design to work with really bad. Now most of the drivers are not really bad and wine still is treating them like they are.

So its part video card driver and part wine itself to blame for the graphics performance.
Mik James
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mik James »

Well i'll probably stick to windows. I didn't plan on more troubleshooting than gameplay and there's no point in having good hardware if you can't play the latest games.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Mik James remember some people run wine on Linux to run games that don't run under Windows Vista+

Wanting the latest and newest games run you into the least tested areas of wine. Most game developers don't test with wine before releasing.

Yes we know video cards are under peforming.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... untu&num=1

But there are exceptions to every rule.
chris_linux

Post by chris_linux »

Hi James,

which hardware do you use ?
Arkham Asylum should run fine, its already a few years old and has a gold app db rating (except of the 3 annoying popups before the launcher starts).

Which version do you use ? Hopefully the new Steam Goty version which does not require any form of GFWL anymore ?

Regards,
Christian
Mik James
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mik James »

It'll be awhile before I can buy the latest windows version.
I bought a bunch of games on a Halloween sale so i might as well see what I can get running in Wine.

I'm going to do a fresh install of a relatively lightweight distro (not sure what's best) and get the latest Wine and Wine tricks.

It sounds like I might have better luck with a user friendly interface/configuration tool like playonlinux. Is that the best one for Wine or is there something better?

I believe i'm running an athlon ii x2 250 and a Radeon hd 6950.
I'm not sure whether to run stock distro graphics drivers or the proprietary radeon drivers?
I am indeed using the latest goty version of arkham asylum from steam.
I never managed to properly install the dotnet 3.5 in whichever wine tricks version I was using though.