printer f/w update fails

Questions about Wine on Linux
konsultor

printer f/w update fails

Post by konsultor »

Bought a Brother color printer (HL-3170cdw) which came with the .03 firmware; .13 is current so I want to upgrade. Brother offers support only for Win and MAC, so I install Wine and Q4wine (ver 0.999, RC 8 ) from the openSuse 12.3 repository.

When running the Brother firmware upgrade app (BrMain480.exe) in Q4wine on 64-bit openSuSE 12.3 (with KDE 4.5) the firmware updater starts apparently OK, but after a minute issues a warning:
Error while loading application settings by key: 'WineLibs'. File or path does not exist: ""
Please, go to the q4wine options dialog and set it.
Clicking on OK button brings up a config page, but not the one I saw when installing for the first time: then there was a page to enter the Lib directory, but I can't find that page now. This later page has no option for the Q4wine Lib directory location. So I click on OK without changing anything.

Next the installer fails with the message that it can't find a machine to update. I've tried first with a Wi-Fi connection and then with a direct USB cable. I installed a separate driver instance for each of the Wi-Fi and USB connections. No printer found in either case.

What am I missing?

Borrowed a Win notebook and updated the firmware over the USB with no problem, so the printer seems good.

There will probably be f/w upgrades in the future. I prefer to make them in Q4wine.

Posted this as a bug before I realized there is this forum. sorry about that.

Thanks.
dimesio

Re: printer f/w update fails

Post by dimesio »

Q4Wine is not supported here; this forum is for plain Wine only.

As for your firmware update, printers have to be installed in CUPS for Wine to see them and I wouldn't recommend attempting to update the firmware of any device through Wine unless you are perfectly okay with the possibility of bricking it. Count your blessings that you didn't.