Total Wine Crash

Questions about Wine on Linux
NTL

Total Wine Crash

Post by NTL »

I just started using Ubuntu and would like to run third party software called E2 shop system. I was able to get Ubuntu to connect to my network where the E2 install file reside, but could not run the E2 .exe install file. After a google search I ended up in the software center where I downloaded wine (version 1.4 I think). The problem I am having is that wine crashes as soon as it opens. This is true if I attempt to run an exe file with wine or even when I try to open the wine configuration window. I was able to open wine tricks but when I tried to open things from inside of wine tricks, the same thing would happen. For instance if I type “winecfg” into the terminal, the wine config window will open then immediately close. Not sure if I missed a setup step somewhere. As of now I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling wine several times and rebooting the computer a few times as well. Not sure where else to go from here as I am new to Linux. Below is the error I received after running the “winecfg” command. Thanks for your help in advance.

“Wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000008 at address 0x7e2005e3 (thread 0009), starting debugger…
Winedbg: Internal crash at 0x7e8665e3”
dimesio

Re: Total Wine Crash

Post by dimesio »

If your version really is 1.4 you need to upgrade to at least 1.6, which is the current stable release.

Delete ~/.wine and then run winecfg. If it still crashes, post the full terminal output.
NTL

Post by NTL »

dimesio wrote: Delete ~/.wine and then run winecfg. If it still crashes, post the full terminal output.
I don’t mean too sound to ignorant here but what do you mean Delete ~/.wine?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Also, don't use the 1.6-0ubuntu1~ppa4 package; it's been reported broken. http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34759
NTL

Post by NTL »

I verified, the version I am using is 1.4. should I switch to 1.6? Here is a screen shot of the winecfg command.
Attachments
winecfg
winecfg
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Did you try a clean wineprefix as I suggested earlier?

As for upgrading, you didn't mention what version of Ubuntu you're using. The 1.6 package for saucy is the one that's been reported broken, so I wouldn't recommend using that. I'd suggest the 1.7 package, but a comment in the bug report suggests that one is broken, too. So if you're on saucy, either build Wine yourself or wait until the packages are fixed to upgrade. If you're on an older version of Ubuntu, you can try upgrading; so far no one has reported them broken.
NTL

Post by NTL »

I did try to delete the wine directory as you suggested. Attached are the results. I am using Ubuntu version 12.04 LTS. Do you think this is a compatibility issue between Ubuntu and Wine? If so what is the next best open source Lenux OS that you would recommend? I would try to "Build Wine myself" as you suggested; however, I don't have the slightest idea how to do that. Thanks for your help so far.
Attachments
screenshot.png
ZombieRedShirt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ZombieRedShirt »

You really should follow Dimesio's suggestion and try to get your hands on a more recent version of wine. As far as the crashes you're getting go, that shouldn't be happening with any version of wine, so I suspect a broken wine version, or possibly some other issue within Ubuntu. I would start, however, by enabling the winehq repository and installing some of the versions of wine they have there. Instructions on how to do that can be found pretty easily under the "download" link on the winehq page.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19999

The ubuntu 1.6 and 1.7 packages are fixed in the PPA. So you can now use the PPA again NTL.

ZombieRedShirt I suspect broken or over secure kernel. Something that is also fixed in wine handling in newer versions.

There are very big reason why 1.4.1 should be not used unless you have no other choice. This is what annoys the hell out of us about LTS distrobutions. We have lines in sand where the version should be just moved forwards. There are particular packages that are not suitable for LTS version freesing. Wine is one of the items that will be disrupted by security updates in kernels. So not suitable at all to be version frozon.

NTL please in future copy text out of terminal and past into message as a quote or something. This is lighter on bandwidth than a Image. Yes I and others do have the habit at times of just ignoring people who keep on screen shotting text terminals instead of copying the text.