DELFTship hangs on start up

Questions about Wine on Linux
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

DELFTship hangs on start up

Post by deadwood »

Hello,

I am new to Wine and currently only use it for a single software for which only exist binaries compiled for Windows but not for Linux.
Said software is the hull lofting program DELFTship (DS) in its Free version currently 6.22.253.
I already used DS before in some 5.X version under Wine with no problems at all.
But since I hadn't only shifted versions of DS but also the Linux distro from CentOS 6.2 to Fedora 19 I am not sure whether my problems originate from the distro, Wine, or the DS version.
But I tested the same DS version on a Windows XP PC at work and there it runs without any flaw.

My Linux distro is

Code: Select all

[root@pabell:/home/fiddle]
# uname -a
Linux pabell.slipway.org 3.10.9-200.fc19.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed Aug 21 19:27:58 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

# cat /etc/redhat-release 
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat)
I installed Wine from the Fedora RPM repos

# wine --version
wine-1.7.0

# rpm -qa wine{,-core}
wine-core-1.7.0-1.fc19.x86_64
wine-core-1.7.0-1.fc19.i686
wine-1.7.0-1.fc19.x86_64

# rpm -q --qf "%{packager}\n" wine
Fedora Project
The strange thing is that this DS version in this Fedora/Wine setting used to start without any problem for the first 3 or 4 times.
In DS there is in the global preferences selection a check box where I made sure to let DS never search for any updates.
But somehow it seems as if DS now is trying to make an Internet connection (to make a call to home so to speak) on start up.
At least this is what the Wine output, which I submitted below, suggests with the line

fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stub
when the start up of DS gets hung.

Is there a way how I can tell Wine to refrain from calling this InternetAttemptConnect Stub?

Btw, I was always online (i.e. had a pending Internet connection) when that happened, no packet filter like Iptables activated, SElinux is disabled, and I have a valid account at the DELFTship webside from where I also downloaded the DS binaries that I try to run.

[fiddle@pabell:~]
$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 wine ~fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22/DELFTship/DelftShip.exe
fixme:wtsapi:WTSRegisterSessionNotification Stub 0x10092 0x00000000
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100ca enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100d8 enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x100ee enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x10104 enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x1011a enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x10130 enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x10146 enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x1015c enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x10172 enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x10188 enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x1019e enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x101b4 enable -1: stub!
fixme:win:WINNLSEnableIME hwnd 0x101ca enable -1: stub!
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b6e188)->(0x14e9bc 0x32f554): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode namespaces not supported: L"xmlns"
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b6e188)->(0x14ea7c 0x32f5b8): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b6e188)->(0x14eba4 0x32f5b8): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b6e188)->(0x14ec64 0x32f5b8): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70040)->(0x2b701bc 0x32f584): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70040)->(0x2b70264 0x32f578): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70040)->(0x2b703f4 0x32f61c): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70040)->(0x2b70634 0x32f438): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70488)->(0x2b70684 0x32f4dc): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70040)->(0x2b70b4c 0x32f438): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70678)->(0x2b70b9c 0x32f4dc): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70040)->(0x2b70d0c 0x32f438): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70b90)->(0x2b70d5c 0x32f4dc): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70040)->(0x2b70ecc 0x32f438): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70d50)->(0x2b70f84 0x32f4dc): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70040)->(0x2b710f4 0x32f438): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70f78)->(0x2b71144 0x32f4dc): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70040)->(0x2b712b4 0x32f438): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b71138)->(0x2b716e4 0x32f4dc): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b70040)->(0x2b71844 0x32f438): semi-stub
fixme:msxml:domelem_setAttributeNode (0x2b716c8)->(0x2b71894 0x32f4dc): semi-stub
fixme:wininet:InternetAttemptConnect Stub

dimesio

Re: DELFTship hangs on start up

Post by dimesio »

Is there a way how I can tell Wine to refrain from calling this InternetAttemptConnect Stub?
You can disable wininet in winecfg.
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

Hi dimesio,

since I'm new to Wine I haven't yet edited the winecfg.
Usually, I would have searched for a file with that name and edited this.
But this here seems to work differently.
I can see that there is a command winecfg which I suppose I would have to execute to make changes to the wine configuration for my DELFTship Wine environment.
What puzzles me is the fakedll subdir in its path.
Would I have to run winecfg with the same WINEPREFIX as I run the DS program,
i.e. like so?

$ which winecfg
/usr/bin/winecfg

$ rpm -ql wine-core|grep winecfg
/usr/lib64/wine/fakedlls/winecfg.exe
/usr/lib64/wine/winecfg.exe.so
/usr/lib/wine/fakedlls/winecfg.exe
/usr/lib/wine/winecfg.exe.so

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22  /usr/lib64/wine/fakedlls/winecfg.exe
Regards,
Ralph
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

I find it a little annoying that each of my posts will have to be approved before it appears in the thread here.
Is this only a restriction that applies to the first 10-50 posts of a user, or so?

So it gets a little difficult for me now finding the "alignment" to my previous post, which hasn't been approved and made visible yet.

Anyway, though the winecfg.exe binary implies that it is an executable from its suffix (in the Windows world, of course)
it lacks any x-bits. Is this correct?
Or is it meant to be given as an argument to the wine command itself, like below?

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 /usr/lib64/wine/fakedlls/winecfg.exe 
bash: /usr/lib64/wine/fakedlls/winecfg.exe: Permission denied
$ ls -l /usr/lib64/wine/fakedlls/winecfg.exe
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 815360 Aug 17 09:49 /usr/lib64/wine/fakedlls/winecfg.exe
$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 wine /usr/lib64/wine/fakedlls/winecfg.exe 
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

New users have to go through moderation for their first 3 posts. It's the only effective way to keep spammers out.

If you're using the default wineprefix, just run

winecfg
in a terminal or, if your distro is one that adds a menu item for winecfg to its packages, click on it.

If you're using a different wineprefix, specify that in the command line

WINEPREFIX=/path/to/wineprefix winecfg
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

Thanks for enlightening me.
I think I should have read this forum's FAQs or "Before you post" threads more carefully before posting.

Because I prefer the command line over any GUI menu I ran the winecfg command prepended by the WINEPREFIX env var in a login shell.
Then a Wine Configuration widget popped up.
Although I clicked and browsed through all tabs of it I couldn't find a matching context where to unset or disable the mentioned wininet directive.
Does it go into under the Application tab?
But this is currently only populated with an entry Default Settings and there is only the button Add application clickable while the Remove application is greyed out.

Edit: I found a list item wininet in a drop down list under the Libraries tag.
But there I can only select Add from the New override for library.
Is this the location where to disable this?
But what would I have to offer as the override substitute?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

deadwood wrote: Edit: I found a list item wininet in a drop down list under the Libraries tag.
But there I can only select Add from the New override for library.
Is this the location where to disable this?
But what would I have to offer as the override substitute?
Add it, select it once you've added it, click edit, set the override to Disable.
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

I did add it and subsequently disabled it.

Now the start of DS gets immediately aborted with the following Wine output:

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 winecfg

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 wine /home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22/DELFTship/DelftShip.exe ATLANTIC/Wotan_bilger.fbm 
err:module:import_dll Library wininet.dll (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\fiddle\\wineprefixes\\DS-6.22\\DELFTship\\DelftShip.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\fiddle\\wineprefixes\\DS-6.22\\DELFTship\\DelftShip.exe" failed, status c0000135

I also tried to register wininet as either builtin (i.e. provided by Wine), native (i.e. provided by Windows) as well as builtin then native and native then builtin.
All to no avail.
So I removed wininet from the list again.

What puzzles me is that I run an x86_64 Fedora kernel and installed all Wine components as x86_64 as well as i686 builds.
However, the DS that hangs during start tells me in its version information pop-up which appears early during start that it is only a 32bit build.
At the download site of DS it says that DS comes in both 32 and 64bit builds.
But there is only one installer one can download.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I downloaded the app from the link you provided. I ran into bug 33345 trying to install it, but the workaround in the bug report of extracting the msi file and running that worked. After that, it started up without any problems, and I was able to open a sample file. There were no messages in the console about wininet. My Wine version is 1.7.4.

Since you didn't mention anything about having to extract the msi file to install it, I have to ask, how did you install it?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I posted too soon. It starts up fine the first time, but on subsequent attempts it hangs on start as you describe. Please file a bug.
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

Hi dimesio,

many thanks for the effort you took to download, install and test DS in your Wine environment!

You need not worry about any drawbacks the registration and download at the DS website might impose.
So far I have never received any "newsletters", pleas to buy their Pro version or any other spam from them.
In fact no mail at all apart from asked for notifications on replies to my posts in their forum where I too have spread my difficulties I encountered with their latest Free DS release when run under Wine and asked for help.
So their lead developer is informed about this bug too.
But I am not sure if he regards this as bug too and whether he is inclined to track it down and possibly fix it.
At last he developed and maintained FreeShip (DS's ancestor) and currently DELFTship for the Windows OS(es) and makes no guarantees that it also should run flawlessly through Wine under Linux.
If you are into ships or model boating DS is a great tool to construct and draw ship and boats hulls.
Usually software like this which is used at shipyards and ship, boat or yacht design offices is far too expensive for the hobbyist.
And up to version 5 DS worked when run under Wine with absolutely no issues at all.

Though, of course I wished it had run in your installation like a charm, I am on the other hand a bit relieved that you finally ran into the same trouble.

To be honest, I cannot remember how I got the DS 6 release installed anymore´.
Yesterday night I wiped out the contents of my installation of it beneath the used WINEPREFIX (admittedly a bit short sighted) and try to install it anew but failed miserably.
Could you please tell me how you extracted the msi file (I couldn't find any, neither in the exe nor in the zip file from the DS download page) and what procedure (i.e. workaround) you applied?
When I tried installing yesterday in vain it always aborted with an error window pop-up that read something like,
DELFTship cannot be installed with an installer version smaller than 2.0.

I think I invoked it like that (don't have my Linux laptop at the moment at hand while I'm at work)

$ WINEPREFIX=/some/path/to/intended/DS_prefix wine64 start /unix  /some/path/to/downloaded/DS-6.21.exe
With the above invocation I received the mentioned error about too low installer version.

Then I also tried the msiexec invocation like

$ WINEPREFIX=/some/path/to/intended/DS_prefix wine64 msiexec /i /some/path/to/downloaded/DS-6.21.exe
or

$ WINEPREFIX=/some/path/to/intended/DS_prefix msiexec /i /some/path/to/downloaded/DS-6.21.exe
but the latter two aborted immediately with an error.

Sure, can I file a bug report about this with WineHQ if I find out what I have to do...

Regards,
Ralph
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

To extract the msi files:

WINEPREFIX=/some/path/to/intended/DS_prefix wine /some/path/to/downloaded/DS-6.21.exe /extract
This will create a subdirectory with the extracted files in the directory where the exe is located. The name of the subdirectory will be some combination of letters and numbers; on my system it's EDE482B, but I don't know if it's always the same. Within that directory are two msi files, one 32 bit and one 64 bit. I only tested the 32 bit one, and did so with a 32 bit wineprefix, which you have to explicitly create first (follow these instructions).

To run the 32 bit msi file:

WINEPREFIX=/some/path/to/intended/DS_prefix msiexec /i /some/path/to/extracted/DELFTship_pro.msi
It should install without issue, and even start up at the end of the install.

As for filing a bug for the hang, I meant here, as it seemed to be a Wine issue. Except right now I can't reproduce it any more: DELFTship is starting up just fine this morning, in three different wineprefixes. Since you say you've been in contact with the lead developer, I'm wondering if they changed anything on their server that may account for this. The hang did seem connected with the program trying to "phone home," and maybe the problem was some setting on their server that has now been changed.

So try reinstalling and see if its still an issue for you before filing a bug.
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

Thank you for your patience.

I didn't know of the option /extract, at least cannot remember to have seen any mentioning of it in the man pages of wine or msiexec.

May I ask you, are wine commands signature-agnostic (i.e. doesn't the order of arguments and options matter)?

In the one example the option /extract appears as trailing parameter while in the msiexec example the /i option appears like in Unix commands before any argument.

You are probably right that my issue was related to some restructuring of the DS website or similar temporal unavailability.
I find it sad that in their new releases they seem to claim a pending internet connection.
I wonder if the same was true if I bought a Pro license.
I find the program so useful to my hobby that I wouldn't mind paying 150 € for it.
But before doing this I must be sure that it runs as smoothly under Wine as the it did up to the DS 5 release and that it can be used while being offline.
I will have to ask this in the DS forum.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Options for Windows executables follow the exe in the command line: /extract is an option for the downloaded exe, and /i is an option for msiexec. Environment variables (WINEPREFIX, WINEARCH, etc.) come before the wine command.
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

It wasn't obvious to me that the /extract option was part of the downloaded DS installation executable.
Then it is consistent with old-school Unix options which follow immediately the command and which are followed by arguments (if they are required).
The only one exception to this rule that comes to my mind is the signature to the Unix find command which requires the filesystem argument(s) to be passed before any options.
And then dd is quite an esoteric breed in this respect.
But the Linux folks have kind of infringed and weakened these stringent rules.
It still always bewilders me a little when I see e.g. sample mount commands in Linux-related documentations or howtos where the arguments of mount device and mount point are preceding any mount options,
which works perfectly well with the GNU/Linux mount command but fails miserably under e.g. HP-UX or other vendor Unices.

I still wonder how you found out that the downloaded DS install exe honours the /extract option?
I mean it doesn't seem to output a help screen with a synopsis when invoked with /h, /? or /help.
Or does it? Haven't checked yet.
Or is the treatment of the /extract option a common feature of all or most Windows install executables?
Sorry, I'm not into Windows.
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

dimesio,

would you please help me once again?

I reinstalled DS, this time the 64bit version.

This was the sequence of commands that I issued:

1. Creating the new prefix

$ rm -rf wineprefixes/DS-6.22/*

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 WINEARCH=win64 wine64 winecfg
2. Extracting the msi file from the downloaded DS install executable

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 WINEARCH=win64 wine64 Delftship/delftship_pro_621_252_mc0_sa.exe /extract
3. Executing the msi through msiexec

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 WINEARCH=win64 msiexec /i Delftship/EDE482B/DELFTship_pro.x64.msi
Although I now can start DS with this command line

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 WINEARCH=win64 wine64 /home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/DELFTship/DelftShip.exe

I am not able to access the filesystem of /home and the directories of /home/fiddle to e.g. load my already created DS models.
So the DS installation now is pretty useless to me.

Is there a way to add a mapping to the /home filesystem through e.g. winecfg?

But when I execute it and try to add a drive within it then it throws this error message

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 WINEARCH=win64 wine64 winecfg
err:winecfg:open_mountmgr failed to open mount manager err 2
err:winecfg:open_mountmgr failed to open mount manager err 2
Strangely, I can see some mapping to the root filesystem already prevalent which seems to be realized in Linux by a symlink to the Z: drive.

$ ll wineprefixes/DS-6.22/dosdevices/
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 fiddle fiddle 10 Oct 14 22:32 c: -> ../drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx 1 fiddle fiddle  1 Oct 14 22:32 z: -> /
But why can't I access the z: drive from within my DS application?

Regards,
Ralph
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Although I now can start DS with this command line

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 WINEARCH=win64 wine64 /home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/DELFTship/DelftShip.exe
A 64 bit app should have been installed to Program Files. Program Files (x86) is for 32 bit apps.
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

Ah, that escaped my notice. Thanks for the hint.
I will have to check this tonight at home on my Linux laptop.

Meanwhile I would like to ask you to check something in your Wine DS installation
I hope you haven't yet removed the software.

Yesterday I was haunted back by another nasty bug which I already came across in my previous wiped out Wine DS installation.

But maybe this might be related to my mistakenly starting the 32bit DelftShip.exe instead of the 64bit exe.
On the other hand I can confidently remember that I yesterday definitely saw the words 64 bit close to the right edge of the starting logo,
as well as when one clicked from the menu File=>Program Settings=>Program Information.

Anyway, what I would like you to check is if you are able to make changes in the colour selections at various entry points.
None of them works with my installation.

Could you please load one of the sample hulls that came with the installation.
I can't tell you the path to the directory right now for I now can only check this on my Windows PC at work where everything works perfectly but where the paths seem to be different.
But you wrote that you already managed to load a sample hull.

After the sample model has loaded I would like you to open the layers editor.
You do this by clicking on the tiny white square in the menu bar on top, right below the arrow of the drop down menu list where there is a symbol of a light bulb and where it reads Layer 0 next to it.
When you hover over this tiny white square with the mouse pointer a small type text appears reading, Layer options.

Hope you could find it from my clumsy description.
When you click on this square the options setting window for the layers pops up.
There you choose any layer (probably there will be only one layer if it is a simple model) by highlighting it with the mouse.
Then in the column that reads Color click on the tiny palette icon whereupon a window with a colour palette should pop up.

In my installation at home this already doesn't work. In fact nothing at all happens when I click on the palette icon as if this function was deactivated.

You could choose any colour from the palette, and as soon as you clicked the OK button the colour of the layer this was applied to in the perspective shaded view pane should change to the one you selected.
Maybe this perspective shaded view wasn't the first that appeared when you loaded the sample model.
In that case you can change the current view by clicking on the icon with the 3D hull symbol from the assortment of icons in the View panel of the top menu bar.
This must be on the tile where there are the icon symbols for the other views, viz. Body Plan View (with a hull cross section symbol). Sheerplan View (the hull symbol of the side elavation), Plan or Waterline View (the symbol of a hull seen from below).
If the perspective view you get shows a wire frame model then you must change to shaded view mode.
You do this by clicking the perspective hull symbol icon whose hull has a brown colour.
The mouse hover over effect should display a small type text reading, Shade, switch to shaded rendering.

If you want to play a little you can try to move and rotate the model to have a look at it from all angles by clicking into the view pane and holding holding the middle mouse button depressed while moving (viz. panning) the mouse.
You will find out intuitively how to rotate the model around different axes.

The second entry point for colour selections would be if you select from the top menu bar close to the left corner the symbol with the cog wheel and the crossing screw driver
(the mouse-over hovering text should read Project settings)
Click this icon and a window with text fields for various project settings should pop up.
Maybe it isn't filled out at all for the sample model you selected in the beginning.
Right beneath the first tab General there should be a bottom line reading Shade underwater,
next to which a small button with three dots (ellipsis) is located.
If you click this button again a colour palette window should pop up to choose a different color for the underwater hull.

This function is also dysfunctional in my installation.

Finally, the third entry point for colour selections is in the preference settings.

From the top menu bar click the File tab right in the left corner.
Then click Program settings=>Preferences.
Again in the popping up window you will find a colour underlayed button with the ellipsis.
Clicking this again a colour palette window should open up.

This ellipsis button is also dysfunctional in my installation.

I apologize, this probably has now been a tour de force of DS usage, and I would fully understand if that overtaxed your patience.

Regards,
Ralph
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

On my system, the Layer section is the third from the left on the Home tab. Changing colors here works fine.

Project settings is where you describe it. Changing the color for shade underwater works fine.

Preferences brings up a tabbed dialog. The General tab has two places to change color, Viewport background color and Selected items, and both work. The Hullform tab has color selectors for 22 elements. I didn't try them all, but the ones I tried worked.
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

Many thanks dimesio that you went through the checks.

However, the fact that colour selection works for you now baffles me and lets me totally clueless.

Then I guess it must have something to do with my Fedora distro.
I have just run a yum update wine{,-core} to get the latest updates of the Wine RPMs from Fedora,
and I also installed DS through Wine for the umpteenth time.
All to no avail.

What distro are you using? Ubuntu?
Did you install your Wine from deb packages or did you build and install them from the sources?

While I exercised my totally futile clicking on the palette activation button my wine output these error messages.
Do they reveal anything sensible to the Wine expert?

err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000122-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80040155
err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {00000122-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}, 80040155
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000131-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:marshal_object couldn't get IPSFactory buffer for interface {00000122-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}
err:ole:StdMarshalImpl_MarshalInterface Failed to create ifstub, hres=0x80040155
err:ole:CoMarshalInterface Failed to marshal the interface {00000122-0000-0000-c000-000000000046}, 8004015
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I'm on openSUSE 12.3 x86_64, using the distro packages for 1.7.4. Note I did install the 32 bit version to a 32 bit wineprefix.

FYI, the hang-on-start has returned at the moment, though it was working fine earlier today. However, I found a workaround: winetricks ie7 wininet. With that it takes about 30 seconds to start, but it does eventually start, and everything still seems to work.

I've also added an AppDB entry for the current version, 6.22.253. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=29215. It would be helpful if you could add your own test report to it; I'm not familiar enough with the app to really test it.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I had a hunch your problem stemmed from installing the 64 bit version, so I tested it, and yes, that is the problem. The installer offers Program Files (x86) as the default location to install it to. You can edit that manually in the dialog, and it will install to Program Files, but the color selection buttons don't work in 64 bit. However, the console output I got from trying them was different from what you posted, so I am not sure what else is happening on your system.
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

Hi dimesio,

I wanted to convert my DS installation from 64bit into 32bit as this promises to work according to your experience with the 32bit install.

So I wiped out my chosen prefix.
But when I try to initialize the wineprefix as a 32bit container I get the following error message.

$ rm -rf wineprefixes/DS-6.22
$ mkdir wineprefixes/DS-6.22
$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
wine: WINEARCH set to win32 but '/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22' is a 64-bit installation.
$ echo $?
$ ls -lR wineprefixes/DS-6.22/
wineprefixes/DS-6.22/:
total 8
drwxrwxr-x 2 fiddle fiddle 4096 Oct 17 11:24 dosdevices
drwxrwxr-x 2 fiddle fiddle 4096 Oct 17 11:24 drive_c

wineprefixes/DS-6.22/dosdevices:
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 fiddle fiddle 10 Oct 17 11:24 c: -> ../drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx 1 fiddle fiddle  1 Oct 17 11:24 z: -> /

wineprefixes/DS-6.22/drive_c:
total 0
What needs to be done to tag my prefix as 32bit (winewise) and get the 32bit Wine library or DLLbuilt-ins installed therein?

Regards,
Ralph

Edit: Made a mistake, but the following doesn't work either.
Where is Wine getting the information from that this prefix used to be a 64bit one as I have reversely removed the whole subdir tree before?

$ WINEPREFIX=/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22 WINEARCH=win32 wine winecfg
wine: WINEARCH set to win32 but '/home/fiddle/wineprefixes/DS-6.22' is a 64-bit installation.

$ file $(which wine)
/usr/bin/wine: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=0x4a817e79f5bdca378a503dbb77115a81e9ad9e42, stripped
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Don't create the directory beforehand; Wine has to create it. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#32_bit_wineprefix
deadwood
Level 2
Level 2

Post by deadwood »

Argh, yes, dimwit me. :roll:
After I had removed the prefix target directory it worked marvelously.
With this 32bit DS installation I can now make all colour selections and the rest seems to work fine as well.

Many, many thanks for your help!

I will test a little more by creating a new hull, and see if I still run into difficulties.

After that I should file an entry in the WineHQ Apps DB for my distro Fedora as "supported" platform.

Btw, there are some folks who draw beautiful digital ship models with Google's SketchUp sowftware.
I haven't given it a try yet but am very keen on doing so.
Have you heard how well it is supported under Linux or Wine?
Many of these SketchUp ship model artworks are spread by their creators for free download for e.g. letting them swim in Virtual Sailor, a ship simulator.
In the WineHQ App DB Virtual Sailor 7.0 earned a Gold rating, which sound promising.