CR/LF differnet on i386 vs amd64

Questions about Wine on Linux
gdneil

CR/LF differnet on i386 vs amd64

Post by gdneil »

Hello,

I have two installations of Debian Wheezy on the same laptop - i386 and amd64.
All works well on the i386 side, but CRLF in files seems to be different on the amd64 side.

i386
Download QIF file and import to Quicken2001 - works fine

amd64
Download QIF file (or use one from i386 download - files are the same)
Import to Quicken 2001 gives all kinds of garbage.
Add CF/LF to each line in QIF file (manually or with script) and all imports fine.

I have tried this with two versions of wine - the i386 version (on amd64) in Wheezy (1.4) and an amd64 version 1.5.5 from dev.carbon-project.org with the same results. From this I think the problem is how wine (whichever version) interfaces with the rest of the amd64 system?

Any way to fix this - or any clue why it is happening? I have written a script that adds CR/LF to each line in the QIF file as a workaround, but wondering what is going on - and if the problem might appear again in another instance?

Thanks,
-Neil
dimesio

Re: CR/LF differnet on i386 vs amd64

Post by dimesio »

If I were to guess based on what you've described, it would be a missing 32 bit dependency on the 64 bit system, but as to what it might be, I don't know.

Both the versions of Wine you've tried are old and no longer supported; you should upgrade to at least 1.6.
gdneil

Re: CR/LF different on i386 vs amd64

Post by gdneil »

Yah, was thinking it was a missing dependency of some sort - installed ia32-libs and a few others, but no difference yet.

I'm thinking that since I have the same behavior with 1.4 and 1.5.5 that going to 1.6 won't make a difference - and it is some sort of dependency...

All versions I have tried over the last many years have worked on i386 - whatever wine version on whatever Debian release. This is my first amd64 installation...
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

Since the debian move ot multi are you use the same 32 bit libraries on a 64 bit system as 32 bit system. Ie the :i386 installed libraries are completely identical.

The only thing I can think of is to create and try a WINEARCH=win32 prefix. Maybe when quickbooks sees a win64 system it uses win64 code and there is something wrong in wine 64 bit support(not supprising if there is)
I'm thinking that since I have the same behavior with 1.4 and 1.5.5 that going to 1.6 won't make a difference - and it is some sort of dependency...
Bad logic we don't know if it a depenancy or internal wine. gdneil you don't mention attempting WINEARCH=win32 prefix.
gdneil

Post by gdneil »

Yes, had tried WINEARCH=win32.... Forgot to mention that...

Also, Quicken 2001 doesn't have any x64 code, as Win x64 stuff didn't yet exist.... Itanium had kind of started, but... Quicken was not designed for Itanium processors...

And speaking of logic... I still find it difficult for it to be internal to wine -- given that as you say, the libraries are identical - and that it works on my i386 system but not on my amd64 system? (wine being the same between the two?) I had just tried the two versions of wine because I was out of other ideas...

On the plus side, this is a minor issue - and it seem my only issue in my switch to amd64...
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

gdneil sorry I missed that you had replied.

There was the old ia32-libs libraries for AMD64 platforms these are different libraries to the multi-arch installed :i386 libraries.

I should have been more clear one of the things to check is that you are using multi-arch not ia32-libs. If you system has any of the old ia32 bits in it this is legacy hang over parts so causing a problem. Multi-arch is :i386 installs. Now if you have all the :i386 parts installed and all the old ia32 bit parts gone at that point there is no difference between the i386 version and the amd64 version libraries in usage.

Another difference that could cause this kind of behavour is differences in locale settings. http://wiki.winehq.org/TestingLanguages

Changing locale settings in windows changes end of line char/s. If this is the case the problem is not arch its just been good luck on the i386 to have the right locale.

Yes minor differences in setting between the two system could be causing wine to report strange things to programs. So strange results.