MS Office in Wine: Hebrew backwards

Questions about Wine on Linux
shalom52

MS Office in Wine: Hebrew backwards

Post by shalom52 »

I'm a new Linux Mint (xfce) user. Love it and wish I could use it all the time. Problem is I need to use MS word for work in both English and Hebrew. I use Wine which is great for English. But when I'm in WORD typing in Hebrew - whether I paste it in or even from new doc, it types in reverse order, Hebrew letter jump around and letters look strange. Obviously I'm having a problem with right to left direction typing.

I've looked for a fix but there doesn't seem to be one. Any ideas??
dimesio

Re: MS Office in Wine: Hebrew backwards

Post by dimesio »

shalom52 wrote:But when I'm in WORD typing in Hebrew - whether I paste it in or even from new doc, it types in reverse order, Hebrew letter jump around and letters look strange. Obviously I'm having a problem with right to left direction typing.
Hebrew is a right to left language. By "reverse order" do you mean that it is going left to right in Word? Or is is going right to left (as it should), and you're just unaccustomed to it? (If the latter, that is not a Wine issue.)

What do you mean by "the letters look strange"? You may need to install some fonts, as the Wine ones don't include Hebrew glyphs. http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23537

You didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade.