Does steam work on wine?

Questions about Wine on Linux
crayzcrinkle
Level 2
Level 2

Does steam work on wine?

Post by crayzcrinkle »

Hi all, just wondering if wine supports steam yet because none of my steam games work through it.

I can right click the steam.exe and launch with wine, but it just brings up the "busy" clock icone for about 20 seconds and then does nothing. Launching games through their own EXE brings the inevitable "failed to find steam.dll" message. Please help, if possible!
dimesio

Re: Does steam work on wine?

Post by dimesio »

Steam works just fine with Wine so long as it's properly installed in Wine. Since you didn't mention anything about installing Steam, or your games, my first question is, have you actually installed them in Wine? If the answer is no, you need to. Follow the instructions in the AppDB.
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=19444

You also didn't mention what Wine version you're using. If it's not the latest development release, upgrade.

If neither of those things fix it, post terminal output. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log
crayzcrinkle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crayzcrinkle »

Its version 1.4.1 of wine, my steam is already installed on my windows hard drive, i also have linux version of steam installed too.

I checked out that page you sent but there aren't any instructions on it for how to get it working?
crayzcrinkle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crayzcrinkle »

Oh, my bad, it says so further down the page...
crayzcrinkle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crayzcrinkle »

Ok, I have followed the instructions but cant proceed, its asking me to type a command:

env WINEDEBUG="fixme-all" WINEPREFIX="(your-prefix)" wine msiexec /i SteamInstall.msi

do i LITERALLY just type "(your-prefix)" or is there something else I'm supposed to type there, if so, what is it?

I hate unclear instructions XD
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Some info on wineprefixes: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#wineprefix.

You only need to specify the wineprefix if you are installing somewhere other than the default (~/.wine). If you were, you would substitute the actual path for (your-prefix).
crayzcrinkle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crayzcrinkle »

Ok I followed the instructions and its still not working. The first time i then clicked on the steam.exe it brought up the window to say it was updating with the progress bar, which promptly dissapeared before anything happened, when I tried clicking the exe again it just gave the clock/working mouse icon for a while and then nothing happened.

Correction: It quits on the "verifying installation" section of the update.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The AppDB page has a Troubleshoot section; try the tips there, particularly for "Update crash at 26%." If that doesn't work, post terminal output, including the command used to run steam.exe.
crayzcrinkle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crayzcrinkle »

Im not using the terminal, im just rightclicking the icon and selecting "launch with wine".

The trouble shoorter commands for the 26% thingy give this:

http://i.imgur.com/kN6V9U2.png

Its apparently looking for the files inside the windows c directory with "//" everywhere, which obviously isnt going to work. How do i get it to look whereever the files its supposed to find are?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I know you haven't been using the terminal. You need to use it now to get terminal output.

Follow these instructions for running the app from a terminal: http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#run_from_terminal. Please do not post screenshots of terminal output; either paste it as text in the body of your post, or if it is very long, attach it as a file.
crayzcrinkle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crayzcrinkle »

Yep, running through wine command line, it also gives that exact same error message. Nothing more or less.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Post the terminal output, including the command used.
crayzcrinkle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crayzcrinkle »

Can you advise how you COPY text from the terminal, I've no idea XD

CTRL+C doesnt work
CTRL+SHIFT+C doesnt work.

I've tried googling but thats all anyone says as an answer. And its not working.
crayzcrinkle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crayzcrinkle »

Oh i figured it out, here is the results from the first operation:

crinkle@crinkle-System-Product-Name:~$ cd
crinkle@crinkle-System-Product-Name:~$ cd '.steam/bin32'
crinkle@crinkle-System-Product-Name:~/.steam/bin32$ wine steam.exe
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\steam.exe"
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

When you use a wineprefix other than the default, you have to specify it in the command line.
crayzcrinkle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by crayzcrinkle »

OK I've tried:

crinkle@crinkle-System-Product-Name:~$ wine start '.steam/bin32/steam.exe'
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
ShellExecuteEx failed: File not found.

and also :

crinkle@crinkle-System-Product-Name:~$ wine start '/home/crinkle/.local/share/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam.exe'
err:start:wmain Option 'L"/home/crinkle/.local/share/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam.exe"' not recognized
Start a program, or open a document in the program normally used for files with that suffix.
Usage:
start [options] program_filename [...]
start [options] document_filename

Options:
/M[inimized] Start the program minimized.
/MAX[imized] Start the program maximized.
/R[estored] Start the program normally (neither minimized nor maximized).
/W[ait] Wait for started program to finish, then exit with its exit code.
/Unix Use a Unix filename and start the file like windows explorer.
/ProgIDOpen Open a document using the following progID.
/? Display this help and exit.

What else can I try? i have no idea.

Can anyone recommend any alternatives to WINE that just "work". All this configuring things here and there doesnt seem to be doing anything. I'm almost thinking about going back to windows at this point.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The two paths you have tried are different, neither appears to be a valid wineprefix, and you did not specify the wineprefix in either case.

Have you even installed Steam in Wine? In case I wasn't clear enough earlier: you cannot run Steam from your Windows partition with Wine, nor can you use the Linux version of Steam with Wine. You must install the Windows version of Steam in Wine, either by running the msi installer directly, or with winetricks, and you must use that Steam to install/run games in Wine.

If you did install Steam in Wine, where did you install it to? If you ran the msi file directly, and did not specify a wineprefix, then the wineprefix is the default one, ~/.wine. If you did specify a different wineprefix when running the installer, you have to also specify it when running steam.exe. If you used winetricks to install Steam, the wineprefix is ~/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam, and you have to specify that wineprefix when running steam from the command line.

To give you a concrete example, if you used winetricks to install Steam, you are on a 32 bit system, and your home directory is /home/crinkle, the command to run steam would be

Code: Select all

WINEPREFIX=/home/crinkle/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam wine start /unix '/home/crinkle/.local/share/wineprefixes/steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/Steam.exe'
If you are on a 64 bit system and have 64 bit Wine installed, change Program Files to Progam Files (x86) in the above command. If you didn't use winetricks, use the actual path to wherever you installed Steam.
oiaohm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by oiaohm »

dimesio and crayzcrinkle I know freedesktop spec seams to suggest .local/share But from a broken windows manager point of view safe would be ~/.config/wineprefixes/steam or outside hidden directories completely.

There are some very poor menu extraction scripts out there that tree walk everything under ~/.local/share looking for menu entries and mine types. Result of placing wine in the ~/.local/share can be slower login times.
$XDG_CONFIG_HOME defines the base directory relative to which user specific configuration files should be stored. If $XDG_CONFIG_HOME is either not set or empty, a default equal to $HOME/.config should be used.
The .reg in a wineprefix are user specific confugation files same with dosdevices directory. These are a bare min for a wineprefix. drive_c can be redirected to a different folder(that can be read only for some applications). Yes being techical the correct directory is ~/.config/* not ~/.local/share/* yes using the incorrect directory can cause you pain.

dimesio I don't know where the user ~/.local/share started but everyone need to stop using it and start using the correct. I don't want users complaining about slow login times and blaming wine.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

oiaohm: tell it to Dan; what winetricks does is his choice. I was just explaining what it does so the OP could actually find what he had already installed. Personally, I have all of my wineprefixes on a separate partition, and none of them are hidden. I like being able to find them easily.