PowerBuilder SQL ODBC Connection Issue

Questions about Wine on Linux
pasha-19

PowerBuilder SQL ODBC Connection Issue

Post by pasha-19 »

Running OpenSuSE 12.3, Gnome, Wine 1.7.1 and unixODBC 2.3.1
the Target database is SQL Anywhere 16 running in 64 bit mode under OpenSuSE and not Wine.

Hardware Toshiba AMD x64, 16GB ram.

The good news PowerBuilder can get the list of ODBC DSNs from unixODBC in the dropdown to establish a connection. There is some communication between PB under Wine and unixODBC. However attempting to connect to the database causes an immediate vanishing of the application.

Should I override with the environment variable to point to the 32 bit ODBC manager because I want a 32 bit connection for PowerBuilder? Currently I have tried an ODBC Config that specifies a 64 bit server and a 32 bit driver as well as a 32 bit server and a 32 bit driver -- same results. All these test were with no override to the Wine's ODBC Manager environment variable. I tried a couple of tests with the DB already running in Linux eliminating the need for ODBC to start the database -- these also failed however, I will make several other attempts including attempting a TCPIP connection using local host instead of shared memory.

I am willing to work with someone on this and if someone would identify the ODBC wrapper code I could try to check for call compatibility between the wrapper, unixODBC and SQL Anywhere. If there is a way to get trace or debug output I would attempt to get those and forward them too.

Thanks
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Re: PowerBuilder SQL ODBC Connection Issue

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

probably the best way to get in touch with the wine developers may be filing a bug report and providing terminal logs, additionally you could try to contact people on wine irc channel. Some wine developers are occasionally working on wine and odbc, so there's some hope. Yet these kind of bugs require a relatively complicated setup to reproduce and (regarding odbc&co) wine's infrastructure is far from complete, so it may take some time, until it gets fixed.
pasha-19

Post by pasha-19 »

I have exhausted the variations I could consider without attempting to assign the environment variable to point to the 32 bit unixODBC Manager. My testing will resume with the environment set as indicated.
pasha-19

Post by pasha-19 »

I tested shared memory, IP connections, starting the DB and connecting to a started database using the 32 bit library against a 64 bit database running directly under linux -- same result -- powerbuilder disappears while trying to connect. I am willing to test options if someone would be willing to provide scenarios. I would be willing to look at code (I have been a programmer for 30+years) if someone could provide information concerning where to start.
pasha-19

Post by pasha-19 »

Please close this topic due to lack of interest.