Wine had never worked for me.

Questions about Wine on Linux
imaginashawn

Wine had never worked for me.

Post by imaginashawn »

I've tried Wine for a couple years on several different machines to try to use a few different windows programs that run on XP. I've never once got any results except freezes and crashes when I'm not even running Wine. For the last two weeks, I've tried installing Wine 1.4 on an Ubuntu 12.04 machine with 3 Ghz and 1 GB. No luck when I try to install Zuma's Revenge and Bejeweled 3, both from brand new CD's. I've read somewhere that you (Wine HQ) does'nt think anyone's instructions should be trusted except for yours. So, I uninstalled Wine and followed the instructions on Wine HQ:
http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu
Still doesn't work. Only difference is freezes and crashes again.
Is anybody able to make this thing work?
It's not real important to me but this has become kind of a hobby. I'd be interested to see it actually work if someone would like to help.
Thanks.
dimesio

Re: Wine had never worked for me.

Post by dimesio »

imaginashawn wrote: freezes and crashes when I'm not even running Wine.
Wine cannot cause freezes, crashes, or any other problem when it is not running, but whatever is causing that can certainly cause Wine to fail, too. You need to fix that problem before trying to get Wine to work. Ask for help on the Ubuntu forum; it is not a Wine question.
Wine 1.4
That version is old; upgrade to at least 1.6. If the games still don't work after you've upgraded Wine and solved your crashing/freezing problem, post terminal output.
imaginashawn

Post by imaginashawn »

System ran beautifully before installing Wine. Removed it and it's running fine again. While Wine was on it, it would only run for 10 or 15 minutes and then crash or freeze again.
Also, Wine 1.4 is the version given in Wine HQ's instructions unless you want to take a chance with the beta.
Your right, the guys at Ubuntu really know their stuff. They can probably guide me on the Wine problem even though it's not their creation.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

imaginashawn wrote: Wine HQ's instructions
http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=34299