Homeworld: Cataclysm No disc inserted?

Questions about Wine on Linux
foole
Level 1
Level 1

Homeworld: Cataclysm No disc inserted?

Post by foole »

New to wine and Linux.

Using Wine 1.6 and Lubuntu 13.04, Homeworld: Cataclysm appears to be installed from CD, but when browsing the Wine C: drive and/or using the Program shortcuts to run the game, I get error message: No disc inserted (but the CD is in the drive!?)

How do I check or change the path to the CD?

Thanks
dimesio

Re: Homeworld: Cataclysm No disc inserted?

Post by dimesio »

The cd is in the drive, but is it mounted in your OS before running the game? It needs to be.

You can check the drive mapping in winecfg, on the Drives tab.

Problems like this are often the result of copy protection, but there's nothing in the AppDB entry to suggest that is an issue for this game.
foole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foole »

Yes the CD is mounted, the Drives tab shows the default path to the CD.

I am trying to invoke the game with the shortcuts in the Wine Programs menu, and also browsing directly to the cataclysm.exe in the virtual C: drive, but in every case I get the No disc inserted error.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Post terminal output, including the command used to run it.
foole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foole »

emery@Alpha:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Sierra/Cataclysm$ wine cataclysm
p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 0.
fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 1.
err:aspi:SCSI_OpenDevice Failed to open device /dev/sg1: Permission denied
fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 2.
err:aspi:SCSI_OpenDevice Failed to open device /dev/sg2: Permission denied
emery@Alpha:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Sierra/Cataclysm$ wine start cataclysm
fixme:exec:SHELL_execute flags ignored: 0x00000100
emery@Alpha:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Sierra/Cataclysm$ p11-kit: couldn't load module: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/pkcs11/gnome-keyring-pkcs11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
fixme:aspi:SendASPI32Command ASPI: Partially implemented SC_HA_INQUIRY for adapter 0.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

err:aspi:SCSI_OpenDevice Failed to open device /dev/sg1: Permission denied
That's probably why the game can't see the disc, but as to why you're getting that error, I don't know.

Did you add the drive manually to winecfg, or did you use autodetect? How did you mount the disc (manually or automount)?
foole
Level 1
Level 1

Post by foole »

I didn't do anything special to add the drive to wincecfg. When I open the Wine Config tabs with the Cataclysm in the Drive, it shows up as D: drive with the Cataclysm disc mounted.

I've done the same with the autodetect function. I put the disc in, Lubuntu automounts it, I hit autodetect and the drive+disc appears. So far so good.

But when I try to run the cataclysm.exe from the virtual C: drive, I get the No Disc Inserted error.

I should be able to use wine cataclysm or wine start cataclysm to run the game, yes?
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Can you mount the CD/DVD manually in the terminal?