Ubuntu 12.04 can't agree on Wine version

Questions about Wine on Linux
Headcase

Ubuntu 12.04 can't agree on Wine version

Post by Headcase »

I've got Wine 1.6 installed with Package Manager, but Wine says it's still version 1.2 at the winecfg and the command line. (wine --version) Am I doing doing something wrong, or are they both on my hard drive? I'm running Ubuntu 12.04.

Thanks in advance :)
dimesio

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 can't agree on Wine version

Post by dimesio »

Your package manager should have made it impossible to install both 1.6 and 1.2 packages, but if you built one of them yourself, yes, you could have both, and shouldn't. My suggestion would be to uninstall both and start over. If you have problems uninstalling the package, ask for help on your distro's support forum. Packaging/package manager issues are not Wine issues.
Headcase

Post by Headcase »

OK, now that I think about it, I think I might've built the 1.2 Wine. Only the 1.6 shows in the package manager though. It seems like I can remove 1.6 with the package manager, but 1.2 would still be installed. How would I go about getting rid of it?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Run

Code: Select all

make uninstall
from the build directory.
Headcase

Post by Headcase »

dimesio wrote:Run

Code: Select all

make uninstall
from the build directory.
Sorry, I'm still a Linux noob. I went to the .wine directory and did a make uninstall as you suggested. Linux returned the message:
make: *** No rule to make target `uninstall'. Stop.
I admit, I think I may have misplaced my build directory, but /Home/.wine seems to be it. What should I be looking for to confirm if this is the build directory or not? (It was as long as a year ago when I did this, I'm sorry that I can't remember.)
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

That's not your build directory; it's the default wineprefix. The build directory would be wine-1.2 (if you used a source tarball) or wine-git (if you built from git).