Unreal Engine + AMD + Wine

Questions about Wine on Linux
dffx

Unreal Engine + AMD + Wine

Post by dffx »

I'm fiddling with getting Wine to run on an AMD 7970M, and I've managed to iron out a lot of the hybrid graphics issues (discussion of which are for another place and another time) and I'm fairly certain that I'm getting as much performance out of the discreet card as I'm likely to get. Many games I've tried running in Wine run at or near native Windows speeds.

That being said, when running Unreal Engine-based games (the 2 I've tested so far are Borderlands 2 and Remember Me) I'm getting *atrocious* performance. Remember Me I chalked up to being just poorly optimized (I've played it on Windows on the same card and it runs so-so at best).

With Borderlands 2, however, I have experience running it in Wine under an Nvidia 560Ti -- a card that's several generations older than this 7970 -- and it ran perfectly (*almost* as well as Windows). I also ran Dishonored without issue under Wine, with the same Geforce.

So my question is, does the Unreal Engine just have piss-poor performance under Wine + fglrx (poprietary Catalyst driver)? Or is there something that can be done to improve this performance?

Thanks!
dimesio

Re: Unreal Engine + AMD + Wine

Post by dimesio »

dffx

Re: Unreal Engine + AMD + Wine

Post by dffx »

Just an update on this: it seems this issue has been resolved. I used the patches indicated here:

http://www.winehq.org/pipermail/wine-de ... 01106.html

And disabled StrictDrawOrdering, and now Borderlands2 runs probably faster than it does on Windows (even through bumblebee). I'm not sure if it was SDO that was causing the issue, or if the patches helped, but either way this patch is killer.