Can I transfer .wine bottle from 1.59 to 1.6?

Questions about Wine on Linux
jonnycat
Level 1
Level 1

Can I transfer .wine bottle from 1.59 to 1.6?

Post by jonnycat »

Hello, I installed a new version of Linux (Fedora 19), which comes with Wine 1.6-1. I would like to use my existing .wine bottle from Fedora 17, which was in use with Wine 1.5.29.

Am I going to run into any trouble doing this? Would there be any changes made to the .wine bottle between these two versions?

Thanks for any help.
dimesio

Re: Can I transfer .wine bottle from 1.59 to 1.6?

Post by dimesio »

Wine should automatically update the wineprefix the first time you run anything in the new version, and it will probably make the transition just fine. 1.5.29 to 1.6 is not that big a jump. If it doesn't work, just delete the wineprefix and reinstall everything.
jonnycat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonnycat »

Thanks dimesio, Wine said it was creating the config file, and most things appear to be fine, except for Steam games.

Steam itself loads fine, but the games have no video (they are running through, as I can hear them, and when I move the cursor keys I can hear the game cycle through the various options). This even happens in -safe (windowed, 640x480) mode.

While I have the same problem with Portal2, Steam also throws up a popup suggesting that I need to upgrade my video drivers (for WinXP). I have the latest nVidia drivers installed for Linux.

This is all under Fedora 19, BTW.

I will unlink my .wine bottle and let Wine create a new one, and install Steam fresh; maybe that will fix it, I don't know. Have you heard of any problem like this?
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

Without seeing console output this is just a guess, but you may be running into http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=30557. If the console output includes the line

Code: Select all

GThread-WARNING **: GThread system no longer supports custom thread
implementations.
then that's the problem.
jonnycat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jonnycat »

Hi dimesio, to rule out sharing issues, I installed Wine properly, as well as Steam, and then installed the game (Half Life 2) properly through steam, but the problem persists (the game still works, just can't see anything).

I generated a log file by running with the command line as "wine hl2.exe &> WinelogF19.log" and got a rather large file, about 9000 lines worth. I tried to attach it, but the forum says I can't attach *.log or *.txt files, so for lack of any better solution, I put it here: http://www.filedropper.com/winelogf19

Unfortunately, it doesn't have the "GThread-Warning" that you mentioned, but maybe something else sticks out? This is using Fedora 19 (x86_64), with nVidia 319.32-7.fc-19 driver, and kernel 3.10.4-300.fc19

BTW, It runs flawlessly under my older Fedora 17 sytesm with nVidia 310.19.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

err:winediag:X11DRV_WineGL_InitOpenglInfo Direct rendering is disabled, most likely your 32-bit OpenGL drivers haven't been installed correctly (using GL renderer "GeForce 8800 GT/PCIe/SSE2", version "1.4 (2.1.2 NVIDIA 319.32)").
This is definitely a problem. Try reinstalling your graphics driver, and if you are on 64 bit, make sure you have 32 bit OpenGL installed.

err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
This is another thing you have to fix.