Steam fails to install after first "next" click

Questions about Wine on macOS.
evyoung

Steam fails to install after first "next" click

Post by evyoung »

Hi all,

I am a total newbie to both Terminal and Wine, so I may be missing something obvious, but here is my problem:

I have successfully installed Wine 1.6 and winetricks using homebrew on OSX 10.8.4, and have followed the directions on the Steam Official Release page. When running the SteamInstaller.msi file, the first window in the install wizard pops up fine, and when I hit "next," the wizard goes away and nothing else happens.

I have also tried other installation methods, such as using the winefile GUI and the winetricks full install for steam as shown in the Steam Official Release page.

Has anyone run into this problem and figured out a fix? What can I do?

Thanks so much!
Maexel
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Steam fails to install after first "next" click

Post by Maexel »

Hi evyoung,

So the Setup-Window of Steam disappears when you hit the 'Next'-Button, is this right?
It might be of help, if you can find out, if another exe-File runs fine with wine. So we might get an idea, if the cause tends to an error in the Steam-Setup-File or to an error in wine. Although, my guess is the first one, since the 1.6 version is the latest stable version and was tested heavily on errors before its official release :wink: .
I can tell you how i've got Steam installed, this might be of help. First, I've got the installer form the official Steam site (http://store.steampowered.com/about/) where I've picked the windows version. After the download, I've run the installer with msi-exec. So the command line in Terminal would look like this:
wine msiexec /i PATH_TO_INSTALLER

(drag n drop the installer file into Terimal, so you'll get the right path without any spelling mistakes :wink:)

This way, I could successfully install it. Let me know, if this has been working out for you and for further issues with running Steam later on when effectually installed, check out the following link:
http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19409 (scroll down to my answer)

Hope this will work out for you! :D

Cheers mate,
Maexel
evyoung

Post by evyoung »

Thanks for the advice Maexel - I'll check this out when I get home from work today. I'll let you know how it goes :)
Rosegirt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rosegirt »

I just Struggled Through this on my mac. Save yourself the trouble now. The problem is Homebrew. I Think it has something to do with the fact that it installs itself outside of the user home directory, but i'm not sure. Regardless, what you need to do is to uninstall wine via homebrew, install Macports, Reinstall wine via Macports, and steam will run beautifully.

Use this tutorial http://www.easypctutorials.com/how-to-i ... n-mac-os-x To install Macport

Hope this is useful!