RIFT issues anyone?

Questions about Wine on Linux
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

RIFT issues anyone?

Post by Simon of Aragon »

I have no crash log since it fails to crash. Hm, is that an oxymoron or what?

CPU: Intel Dual E2200 2.2 Ghz
RAM: 4GB
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1GB RAM

RIFT is a Free to Play MMORPG akin to WoW.

When I install RIFT, I use winetricks to set up vcrun2008 and d3dx9. I also install the IE8 (even though I don't see it being required here) as well. Finally I use the RIFT installer program to download the whole game. The process takes about 40 mins on my system. The game claims to be "playable" after only 5 minutes, but here is the real problem.

After the 10GB download is 100% complete, I hit Play and nothing happens. The launcher blinks out for a second and the Play button is lit again. So it basically has no problem installing but running is just a "no go". The launcher doesn't crash so I can't even get a crash report. It just fails to load the game. My WINE is up to date. But if I need particular version let me know. I have spent several hours installing, testing, and deleting. If anyone has a working setup, I would like to hear from them.
dimesio

Re: RIFT issues anyone?

Post by dimesio »

And what happens when you follow the instructions in the AppDB for installing, and don't install IE8 (or anything else not called for)?
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

The only information on the AppDB about installing is a "gold" written up by Mihail. Unless you know of something else? I ran through his and had the same issues. I know you prefer we use the latest and greatest. I could try to go retro, I see some platinum listed at 1.3.3 but the oldest version of WINE I have on hand is 1.4. I will set up a 1.4 and then try a 1.5.31 and see if there are any changes and whatnot. I will get back with you, when I get some results.
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

Ok it works under the 1.5.31 following the install posted above by Mihail. I have no idea why the 1.6 didn't work it might not be the 1.6 since it is possible I messed up on that install. Looks like an interesting game, now I will need to find time to play it.
Simon of Aragon
Level 3
Level 3

I am calling this game a TORD... what did he just call it?

Tweak Or Repair Daily or a "TORD"

Yes, there are many apps and games out there but none more frustrating to keep up with than this one. Every week they do another update as many online games will do. However about every month they tweak the graphics and this causes some bad blood from ALL the users. Windows users have several posts in their forum stating low FPS varying from 1 to 20. These developers have no clue how their own software is suppose to work, otherwise they wouldn't be hacking on it all the time.

The game is fun to play, I am told it is very "WoW like", but I don't know since I never played WoW. You can't really complain about Free to Play games. I play Guild Wars (not 2) and Star Trek Online and they don't fiddle with the graphics that often and if they do, I don't end up having to hack my settings once a month or more.

For some reason it actually runs better in WINE than Windows. It seems to work best in WINE version 1.5.31 again IDK.
Here are my latest settings for the game:

Code: Select all

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Wine\Direct3D]
"AlwaysOffscreen"="enabled"
"DirectDrawRenderer"="opengl"
"Multisampling"="enabled"
"OffscreenRenderingMode"="fbo"
"UseGLSL"="disabled"
"VertexShaders"="hardware"
"VideoMemorySize"="1024"
There is a file (buried) in your application data folder. Open Rift folder and finally rift.cfg in kate or whatnot.

In the [Client] section of this file:
MainThreadCPU = 0

In the [Video] section of this file:
VfxCullDistance = 256
VFXLimit = 10
LightingComplexity = 10.000000