quitting (steam) games causes the process to disk sleep

Questions about Wine on Linux
melancholy
Level 2
Level 2

quitting (steam) games causes the process to disk sleep

Post by melancholy »

Hi guys, I have a major problem
I use wine to play my steam games and until last weekend, everything was ok apart from the usually bugs.

That weekend however, I upgraded wine from 1.6-rc2 to 1.6-rc4.
Whenever I quit a game or switch to another window, the game hangs up, the process goes disk sleep and after a few seconds to minutes, I loose mouse input.
The process can neither be killed nor can I reboot the computer, I need to hard reset every time.

even worse is that apparently every game is affected by this behaviour...

I tired to trace the problem, and thought that this might be due to the big kde update recently on Gentoo x64, but I get the same problem when using awesome (the desktop environment).

Since steam is running fine however I could imagine that games which go fullscreen are causing this, but again, I'm not entirely sure.
Can somebody help me out or point me into the proper direction?
melancholy
Level 2
Level 2

Re: quitting (steam) games causes the process to disk sleep

Post by melancholy »

I did some more testing running games (I tested AvP):
running games with virtual desktop, windowed or with wine-1.6-rc2 will also cause the process to disk sleep when quiting the game.
Killing the game instead of quiting will also cause disk sleep.

I ran steam via terminal and got mostly only fixmes, but the last output (when quiting) was weird:

Code: Select all

fixme:dinput:IDirectInputDevice2WImpl_CreateEffect (this=0xad7bf24,{13541c20-8e33-11d0-9ad0-00a0c9a06e35},0x33fd2c,0xc268e4,(nil)): stub!
err:d3d:resource_unload Resource 0xad774f8 is being unloaded while mapped. 
But no idea if this is related...
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Do you get the same behaviour with wine 1.4.1?

This sounds very much like a driver bug. Maybe updating your drivers may help, or maybe choosing an older or later xorg server. If you are on ATI or nvidia graphics using closed source drivers, you could try the open source drivers, they probably won't be fun, as they are still insufficient for wine's DX9, but at least they shouldn't crash your system.
melancholy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melancholy »

thanks for you reply

I will try downgrading to a previous nvidia driver (currently on 319.23) and if that doesn't help, I'll test the previous stable release of wine..
melancholy
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melancholy »

I downgraded my nvidia-drivers from 319.23 to 313.30 and still have this problem...
gosh, this is annoying
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

It was just a guess, it's almost impossible to make a remote diagnosis in such cases. Maybe you had some updates like kernel, etc, which have led to that issue. If you updated your kernel, you usually need to update graphics driver, too, sometimes this doesn't work. Maybe another system update helps, in general I'd recommend to update your linux, drivers and try wine 1.4.1 in a clean wineprefix, easiest way to do this is move/rename .wine folder, then create a new standard wineprefix by "WINEARCH=win32 winecfg" and reinstall steam there. If it doesn't help, you can just move your original .wine folder back, which will restore the old configuration.