Can I Play PSO2 (Phantasy Star Online 2) on Wine?

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Seojess

Can I Play PSO2 (Phantasy Star Online 2) on Wine?

Post by Seojess »

Hi! I downloaded wine not too long ago only so I can play pso2. Windows Parallels is being really horrible and saying that it can't correspond with the operating system. Weird cause I haven't done anything to the operating system, and it's worked before.

So I'm trying wine now. What steps can i take to download this game to wine to play on my Mac? This would be so easier if I had a windows computer. But I don't. And I don't want to use bootcamp, because I'm not sure if ill have my data from my Mac side (iTunes library, bookmarks, etc.)

So what can I do? Is pso2 playable on wine?
It's a Japanese game)
Seojess

Re: Can I Play PSO2 (Phantasy Star Online 2) on Wine?

Post by Seojess »

No answer..
lahmbi5678
Level 7
Level 7

Post by lahmbi5678 »

Hi,

first, if Parallels Desktop is having issues, please ask Parallel's support about it. Is it Parallels Desktop or the installer of PSO2, which is giving you an error message? You may be better off using Windows or Windows in a VM like Parallels or VMWare, as Wine is still somewhat incomplete, it may not support advanced copy protection or anticheat software, though I don't know, if PSO2 is using such software.

I tried the downloader.exe, that is offered on pso2.jp. It will start under wine ("wine downloader.exe"), unfortunately it is completely japanese, and i seem to be unable to do anything, maybe one needs that SEGA ID, which I don't have.
landeel
Level 2
Level 2

Post by landeel »

I don't think it will ever work, the game uses nprotect game guard (argh!). Unless someone figures out a way to remove it.

Nprotect game guard is a rootkit to prevent hacking/cheating. It's so bad it makes my computer reboot every time the game crashes, and yeah, it crashes a lot.

It's a great game so far, but sadly it's so cluttered with invasive DRM that it makes it hard to run even on windows, imagine wine.