Installing Adobe CS4 under WINE 1.5 on Ubuntu 13.04 x64

Questions about Wine on Linux
UbuntuSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Installing Adobe CS4 under WINE 1.5 on Ubuntu 13.04 x64

Post by UbuntuSupahFly »

I have been at this for MONTHS. I cannot, no matter what I do, get my copy of CS4 to install under WINE.

First, a little perspective, and history: I had become quite tired of the slowly increasing mountain of problems I had with Windows and had been running a dual-boot system for a long time (started back with Ubuntu 10.04, kept upgrading as I went), and finally after some fluke registry SNAFU left Windows entirely unbootable, I ditched it entirely. The problem was, I wasn't able to "import" my existing install of CS4 - WINE kept crashing. No, I don't still have those ancient backtrace logs. So I tried to install new and that's not working either, but I *DO* have some of those backtrace logs. So at this point, I'm faced with using GIMP for my work (which is suffering because GIMP just doesn't stack against Photoshop), or reinstalling Windows XP and returning to a dual-boot system, just so I can use Photoshop, if I can't get it working under WINE.

I've used WINETricks. I've tried overriding .DLL files. I've tried copying select .DLL's from Live Windows installs. I've tried running XP in a Virtual Machine just to install CS4, but it's far too slow. I've tried installing from the CS4 DVD and failed. So I copied the DVD to a USB (FAT32), an NTFS partition, *AND* an EXT4 partition and the install still failed, each time. Granted different filesystems seem to generate different errors, but still. Can yu see why it's bugging me? I opened a bug in the tracker (http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=33689) and they seem to think it's not a bug in WINE but something that can be solved here, in the Forums. So, here I am.

I have tried to attach the terminal output ad backtrace logs, but the forum says "Files of .txt / .log are not allowed." So hopefully this works instead:

Google Drive Link
dimesio

Re: Installing Adobe CS4 under WINE 1.5 on Ubuntu 13.04 x64

Post by dimesio »

I had just posted a comment in your bug report before seeing this. As I mentioned there, CS4 does not install because of bug 18070. There is a patch attached to that bug report that supposedly worked, but may not apply cleanly to current Wine. The alternative is to copy a Windows installation.
UbuntuSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by UbuntuSupahFly »

dimesio wrote:I had just posted a comment in your bug report before seeing this. As I mentioned there, CS4 does not install because of bug 18070. There is a patch attached to that bug report that supposedly worked, but may not apply cleanly to current Wine. The alternative is to copy a Windows installation.
When you say The alternative is to copy a Windows installation, do you mean actually copy an entire Windows XP installation from somewhere and use that as a base (full native I guess) for WINE when attempting to run CS4? Or do you mean set aside some space on an NTFS partition and go back to a dual-boot scenario? I'm sorry if that sounds like a stupid question, but I'm a little confused by your wording.

I was going to ask about running the OS X version but a quick search on Google has put that genie back in the bottle.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

I mean install CS4 in Windows, then copy all the files it installs and import all the registry entries it makes to the wineprefix.

There is one other option that I had forgotten, which is to install in Wine 1.1.17 or older and then upgrade. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=57808
UbuntuSupahFly
Level 2
Level 2

Post by UbuntuSupahFly »

dimesio wrote:I mean install CS4 in Windows, then copy all the files it installs and import all the registry entries it makes to the wineprefix.

There is one other option that I had forgotten, which is to install in Wine 1.1.17 or older and then upgrade. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=57808
That's very interesting! I'll have to try it once I get squared away again (just replaced an HDD).