A Question Regarding DPI

Questions about Wine on Linux
Prometheus

A Question Regarding DPI

Post by Prometheus »

Hello,

I'm running Wine on OpenSUSE 12.2, primarily through Playonlinux.

The two must-have apps that I am running are Microsoft Word 2012 and Excel 2010- and they work, no problem there. The only complaint I have is that the buttons at the top of the screen are huge. The text in the main workspaces is ok, if a little aliased, but the menu buttons look like they're being displayed on an N64- it's goofy to look at, but more importantly, it's taking up a lot of screen space.

I have the dpi slider set to the minimum 96dpi, but I suspect that that is precisely the problem. When I use my windows systems, most notably in Photoshop, the "save for web and devices" selection always defaults to 72dpi- which was, at least in theory, was selected for maximum compatibility with monitors in general circulation.

Looking at the results of Word and Excel, the appearance of the software is really looking exactly as I would expect it to if the screen was slightly zoomed in.

I did try to change the resolution in the wine machine to match my normal desktop resolution, and I did try to manually change the dpi setting in the system.reg file from 000060 to 000048, with no result beyond crashing Excel.

Don't get me wrong here, I appreciate the fact that this works at all- it saves me a lot of valuable SSD space and is far more convenient than dual-boot, so clumsy menu buttons are not a deal-breaker. But that being said, I would dearly love to get this configured so that I have that missing screen real-estate back. It would also help me use WINE as a selling point for the adoption of Linux in my workplace.

Is there a way to do this? It may be the case that I am barking up the wrong tree by going after the dpi, but that is the one that made sense to me.

Thanks for your assistance.
dimesio

Re: A Question Regarding DPI

Post by dimesio »

PlayOnLinux is not supported here; this forum is for plain Wine. The POL script for Office 2010 adds overrides that are not needed.

It sounds like you're using an old version of Wine. There was a regression that caused those symptoms, but it's been fixed. Upgrade to the latest development release. You will also have to reinstall Office in a clean wineprefix using the the new Wine version, as the old one left behind registry changes that would make the problem persist even after upgrading.
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

That may be the case- I am running openSUSE, and I've been finding that a lot of the software in the repositories is not the current version- I'll try again with an updated version of Wine, and attempt to use it directly, rather than through Playonlinux.

Thanks for the reply, and have an enjoyable holliday.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

You need to add the Wine repository. http://en.opensuse.org/Additional_packa ... ories#Wine