HAL Device Initialization Failure

Questions about Wine on Linux
Avarus

HAL Device Initialization Failure

Post by Avarus »

I get this pop-up that says:

"Your current graphics device does not support the minimum requirements of this game. Please contact Big Fish Games customer support for additional information and assistance."

Well, I have this game for Windows, and it works perfectly. However, I know I'm just taking a chance getting it to work in Linux, but I thought I'd try anyway. The thing is that my computer does meet the min requirements because I play it in Windows.

Is there a way to get Wine to see that my graphics device does meet the requirements? I have an ATI HD Radeon 4250 Acer laptop.

Thanks for any support.
dimesio

Re: HAL Device Initialization Failure

Post by dimesio »

Wine version? If it's not the latest development release, upgrade.

What game is this, and have you checked the AppDB for howtos?
Avarus

Post by Avarus »

I added a PPA and updated and all that. It's Mystery Case Files 9 Shadow Lake. I haven't checked AppDB for how-tos because I have no idea what that is. I'm migrating from Windows to Linux, and it's not very easy or user-friendly to me, I'm afraid.

All I know is that I can play this game on Windows 7, but not in Wine. My Ravenhearst game plays in Windows and Wine, but not the other one. I just don't know why it says my graphics card doesn't meet the min requirements when it does.
dimesio

Post by dimesio »

The AppDB is where users report their experiences with various apps & games in Wine. There's a link at the top of the forum.

The AppDB has entries for several Mystery Case Files games, but not Shadow Lake.

Post terminal output. http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#get_log