steam borderlands wizorb

Questions about Wine on Linux
phantasmor

steam borderlands wizorb

Post by phantasmor »

Well.... I am new to linux, the new kind of linux at least with a really good file system and wine tried linux a long while ago and it was really difficult to use. Any way, I am having a problem with steam. I am using wine 1.5.idk I have installed borderlands but I can't start a new game and I have screenshots of other problems.
Screenshot-Borderlands.png
Screenshot-Borderlands-1.png
I also have wizorb installed but every time I try to run it it crashes immediately. I am thinking if I can get these games working along with the rest of my steam catalouge I can kick windows to the curb.
phantasmor

Re: steam borderlands wizorb

Post by phantasmor »

other screenshot is supposed to be this
Screenshot-Borderlands-1.png
Mateusz Stachowski
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mateusz Stachowski »

You have to start Steam with dwrite disabled in latest versions of Wine because it's a work in progress (dwrite). Developers added some bits of this library and they still work on completing the full or atleast usable implementation.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31374 (Bug 31374 - Steam text invisible with dwrite.dll enabled)

wine ./steam.exe -no-dwrite

or

env WINEPREFIX=/your/steam/prefix winecfg - goto libraries tab and set dwrite.dll to disabled

Wizorb has a native Linux version but currently you won't get it from Steam. It's available in Desura and on Gameolith and also through the game website with Humble widget and it's been in Humble Indie Bundle and there you will also find Linux packages (.deb, .rpm and .tar.gz).

If you want to find information about how well a program or game will run on Wine the AppDB should be the place you go to. Searching for Borderlands appdb in Google gives me the relevant AppDB entry for Borderlands as first result. You can search that way for all programs just type name of the program with appdb.

You may also need to disable Steam Community In-Game (Game Overlay) to play Borderlands. If you installed Steam through winetricks it's already automatically added the relevant registry key otherwise you have to do it manually.

env WINEPREFIX=/your/steam/prefix winecfg

or simply

winecfg - if you didn't create any Wineprefixes. Go to Library tab and type gameoverlayrenderer add it and then set to disabled.

You can also do all of that from Steam client either globally for every game or just for Borderlands. Go to your Library select Borderlands and then you can disable Game Overlay from it's properties.
phantasmor

Post by phantasmor »

Mateusz Stachowski wrote:You have to start Steam with dwrite disabled in latest versions of Wine because it's a work in progress (dwrite). Developers added some bits of this library and they still work on completing the full or atleast usable implementation.

http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=31374 (Bug 31374 - Steam text invisible with dwrite.dll enabled)

wine ./steam.exe -no-dwrite

or

env WINEPREFIX=/your/steam/prefix winecfg - goto libraries tab and set dwrite.dll to disabled
done, still looks like that in game, steam looks fine though
Mateusz Stachowski wrote:Wizorb has a native Linux version but currently you won't get it from Steam. It's available in Desura and on Gameolith and also through the game website with Humble widget and it's been in Humble Indie Bundle and there you will also find Linux packages (.deb, .rpm and .tar.gz).
so I would have to buy it again....
Mateusz Stachowski wrote:If you want to find information about how well a program or game will run on Wine the AppDB should be the place you go to. Searching for Borderlands appdb in Google gives me the relevant AppDB entry for Borderlands as first result. You can search that way for all programs just type name of the program with appdb.
still doesn't help me play borderlands.....
Mateusz Stachowski wrote:You may also need to disable Steam Community In-Game (Game Overlay) to play Borderlands. If you installed Steam through winetricks it's already automatically added the relevant registry key otherwise you have to do it manually.

env WINEPREFIX=/your/steam/prefix winecfg

or simply

winecfg - if you didn't create any Wineprefixes. Go to Library tab and type gameoverlayrenderer add it and then set to disabled.

You can also do all of that from Steam client either globally for every game or just for Borderlands. Go to your Library select Borderlands and then you can disable Game Overlay from it's properties.
I will try that and see what it does
phantasmor

Post by phantasmor »

nope, still not working.