Windows installer help

Questions about Wine on macOS.
Vinomcobra

Windows installer help

Post by Vinomcobra »

I want to install files using a windows installer. The directory requires me to use C:\ in it. What would i type to get it to install the files into Users/(my username)/test ?
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Windows installer help

Post by doh123 »

your wineprefix by default is at ~/.wine ... inside of that you'll find a folder called "drive_c" where any Windows program will see as your C: drive. Its really best if at all possible to install your programs to the C: "drive" there and make new wineprefixes for other programs.
Vinomcobra

Post by Vinomcobra »

Im using wineskin winery to open the installer but I dont know what to type into the directory to get it to download to the test folder i talked about above. I was wrong and it doesn't require me to download to use C:/ so what would i type in?
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

Vinomcobra wrote:Im using wineskin winery to open the installer but I dont know what to type into the directory to get it to download to the test folder i talked about above. I was wrong and it doesn't require me to download to use C:/ so what would i type in?
3rd party programs like Wineskin aren't supported on this forum... but Wineskin is made to have everything inside the Mac app (wrapper). The wineprefix is inside the wrapper including the drive_c and can be moved around and still runs fine. With Wineskin you want to install inside the wrapper, or your not even using the whole design of what Wineskin is for.

Wineskin aside, I do not know why you don't want to install anywhere but C:. This is C: in windows which is the folder called "drive_c" in your wineprefix... it doesn't just mean your main hard drive like it does in Windows.
Vinomcobra

Post by Vinomcobra »

then where does wineskin install to when it installs on the C: drive?
doh123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by doh123 »

Vinomcobra wrote:then where does wineskin install to when it installs on the C: drive?
just like standard Wine, your Windows programs C: drive is the folder called drive_c in your wineprefix. Normal Wine default winepreifx is ~/.wine ... in Wineskin the wineprefix is set to Contents/Resources in the wrapper, where you'll also see a drive_c folder.
Maexel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Maexel »

Hi Vinomcobra,

To open ./wine you can enter: open ./wine into Terminal. There you will find your installed programs ;).