sharing prefixes among distros?

Questions about Wine on Linux
hibba
Level 2
Level 2

sharing prefixes among distros?

Post by hibba »

Hi all,

I use both Gentoo and Linux Mint on the same machine, and would like to be able to share my wine prefixes between them, if possible. I was considering something along the lines of creating a shared folder that both OSes could access, and keeping the prefixes there. I've read that it's possible to corrupt the registry if you have multiple users on a prefix at the same time, though. Would this still likely be an issue as long as I was only accessing them from one OS at a time?

Thanks!

Hibba
hibba
Level 2
Level 2

Re: sharing prefixes among distros?

Post by hibba »

Also, would it probably be better to share mainly the program files themselves instead of the prefixes? For example, when I install Steam, I point the installer to put the program itself in the shared drive. And then I can symlink the program files to their appropriate places in my wineprefixes.

I hope that makes sense, I don't know if I did a good job explaining it. It's kind of like symlinking the WoW data files into your wine prefix from your Windows install; if I basically do that for my other programs, would that probably be safer than trying to share the prefixes themselves?

Thanks!

Hibba