Making Winetricks work on latest Wine version

Questions about Wine on macOS.
BBuk80
Level 1
Level 1

Making Winetricks work on latest Wine version

Post by BBuk80 »

MBP with Mountain Lion. Was using the 1.4 Wine version with Winetricks just fine, then had to upgrade to 1.5.18 to resolve a crash with a game. Did a complete uninstall of Winetricks, Wine and Macports. Reinstalled everything without problems but now when i launch winetricks from terminal or exe nothing happens (tried waiting for hours)...tried different commands and i.e. winetricks -help , winetricks -v , winetricks which work, but no install commands...and no error log even in terminal.

Any ideas?
Maexel
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Making Winetricks work on latest Wine version

Post by Maexel »

Hi,

I guess you've been installing wine and winetricks over MacPorts. You can try another source and get winetricks over wget.

1) First I would uninstall winetricks again: sudo port uninstall winetricks
2) Change to your Source directory (in Terminal: cd $PATH_TO_WINE_SOURCE_DIRECTORY or $HOME --> depends where you'd
like to get winetricks)
3) Then build wget over Macports: sudo port install wget (+ automatically its dependencies)
4) Check if wget is active and installed: in Terminal: wget --version
5) After getting a version number as answer, get winetricks:
wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
chmod +x winetricks
If you can't download winetricks with command wget, probably wineserver is set wrong
To fix this: In terminal: export WINESERVER=$PATH_TO_YOUR_WINE_DIRECTORY/bin/wineserver
Repeat step 5) again
6) If winetricks has been succesfully built, go for whatever program you'd like to get with In Terminal: winetricks (dotnet20, jet40 ,
mdac28, etc., whatever app you need)

Hope this works for you ;)

Cheers mate;
Mate
BBuk80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BBuk80 »

Thank you very much for your help! But unfortunately it didn't work: I could install wget and download winetricks with it (bot in .wine folder), but the command "chmod +x winetricks" has no effect, and trying to launch the winetricks exe from the folder gives me nothing aswell... thanks anyway mate! :)
Maexel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Maexel »

Hi BBuk80,

If you're expecting winetricks with a nice GUI (like an X11 window) when running, you will be disappointed. It's a script running in Terminal... Have you checked a response when entering winetricks --version? Otherwise change (cd) to the directory winetricks is filed.
If you get a number as answer then your winetricks should be usable (you need to add a variable to get something done: f.e. when you'd like to install dotnet20 (.NET Framework 2.0 from Microsoft) over winetricks, enter in Terminal: winetricks dotnet20 ;)

Cheers mate,
Maexel
BBuk80
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BBuk80 »

Yep, I managed in the end with a new installation of X11, it got corrupted somewhat and would not launch winetricks even from terminal. Anyway I'm stuck again in a winetricks bug that won't let me install vcrun2008^^ (posted this in another thread). Thank you mate :)