Questions about Wine on macOS.
theunknown_

InfanView - Winetricks vc6run problems.

Post by theunknown_ »

Hi,

I'm trying to run InfanView on Mac OSX.

I was given a helpful step-by-step guide, but I can't seem to get it to work:

- Start WineBottler and Create a Custom Prefix
- For the Install File, select the IrfanView installation file you just downloaded
- In the Winetricks section select vc6run
- Click Install

Whenever I try to write in the Winetricks box, it won't let me. I tried Googling where to find a winetricks download. I found this terrifying website: http://winetricks.org/winetricks.

Thankfully I also found this Terminal code:

wget -O /tmp/winetricks http://winetricks.org/winetricks
chmod +x /tmp/winetricks
sudo /tmp/winetricks

Unfortunately, I'm no dab-hand at Terminal, in fact, I know nothing about it! I have no idea what that script does.

The error message I get with Winebottler is: "Prefix creation exited with error - you will find a logfile to help debugging on your desktop."

The log then opens up in Console:

###BOTTLING### Create .app...
###BOTTLING### Registering native dlls...
###BOTTLING### Installing iview435_setup.exe...
wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe"
err:wineboot:ProcessRunKeys Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (2)
fixme:storage:create_storagefile Storage share mode not implemented.
err:mscoree:LoadLibraryShim error reading registry key for installroot
err:process:__wine_kernel_init boot event wait timed out
err:module:import_dll Library MFC42.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\Users\\Downloads\\iview435_setup.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\Users\\Downloads\\iview435_setup.exe" failed, status c0000135
### LOG ### Command '/Volumes/WineBottler Combo/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wine /Users/Downloads/iview435_setup.exe' returned status 53.

###ERROR### Command '/Volumes/WineBottler Combo/Wine.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wine /Users/Downloads/iview43

Any ideas?

Cheers,
DanKegel

Re: InfanView - Winetricks vc6run problems.

Post by DanKegel »

We don't support terrifying third-party addons here, let alone in combination. :-)

And pretty please, never run winetricks as root.

You probably want to ask for help in WineBottler's forum... oh,
wait, I don't think there is one, and his trac is down.

You might try Wineskin instead, it has a live forum.
theunknown_

Post by theunknown_ »

Thanks, will do...
Maexel
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Maexel »

Hi theunknown_,

It's Dan Kegel's creation winetricks... This might be the reason for his rather sarcastic answer :wink:

Nevermind, it's a great script although! Handy to install a lot of requirements (dotnet, jet40, ...)

So, to get winetricks the quite easy way, is installing wget over macports (if you have MacPorts installed) In Terminal:
1) sudo port install wget --> After it has been built and activated: check for a version number: wget --version
2) If you got one, it's has been successfully built :wink: , change to your source directory or wherever you run wine (if
you don't know where it is located, nevermind, go to your $HOME directory: In Terminal: cd
3) Then you can come up with the command-line: wget http://winetricks.org/winetricks
chmod +x
(Now, you should see an executable Unix-File in your $HOME directory (where you have Downloads, Images, Movies,
etc.)
4) Run winetricks with your app you want to get (vc6run): In Terminal: ./winetricks vc6run
You might get the response: wineserver not found!
To set this right, enter In Terminal: export PATH=/PATH_TO_DIRECTORY_WHERE_WINE_HAS_BEEN_BUILT/bin:$PATH
export WINESERVER=/PATH_TO_DIRECTORY_WHERE_WINE_HAS_BEEN_BUILT/
bin/wineserver

Hope this works for you :)

Cheers mate,
Maexel